Chapter 12: The Heart of a Sapphire

"Should I leave you two alone?" Regina asked awkwardly

        "Should I leave you two alone?" Regina asked awkwardly. "We-uh, we were just leaving." Hallie said gesturing Renendez into the living room and out on the back porch revealing the view of the beach. "Right, yes of course." Renendez said slowly walking through the Mitchell's household and looking around. Hallie following right behind him. "Okay you kids have fun, Hallie we'll talk later." Regina said making her way upstairs. Hallie sat down on the porch while Renendez leaned on the white wooden banister, folding his arms. Hallie looked straight ahead with her knees in her chest, her gaze fixated on the turquoise waters and the smooth hazelnut colored sand. The verdant green grass made Hallie feel relaxed. She felt Renendez's eyes on her. 5 minutes passed and Hallie got fed up. "So... what are you doing here Renendez?" Hallie asked annoyed but calmly. "Hallie, I-..." "You ruined my life, that's what you did." She said cutting him off. "Hallie please, just listen and hear me out." Renendez said fearful that he would lose her. Hallie leaned back on her hands. "I'm all ears." She said staring deep into the ocean's horizon. "Hallie I need you to look at me." Renendez said now standing up straight. "Can't." Hallie said with no emotion in her voice. "I just wanna tell you how sorry I am..." "Sorry? You're fucking sorry?" She said through gritted teeth. "I-I..." "You betrayed your best friend since crayons and coloring books, to flirt with me, acting a complete ass..." "And you egged me on. You kissed me in that gym did you not? You didn't exactly tell me no." Renendez defended unfolding his arms. "Yeah, because until I moved here, before even meeting Vanerro, I knew I was straight." Hallie snapped back. "So... your mind was sure, but your pussy wasn't?" He asked nastily. Hallie glared at him. "She.Beat.Your.Ass.Renendez." Hallie said clapping with each word. "I let her, because I knew I deserved it. And I didn't want to hit her. Look I didn't come here to argue. I know I fucked up. There's just something about you that couldn't keep me away. I was, I was jealous that she got to have you, that Vanerro got whatever she wanted. I know I sound like a little bitch right now but it's the truth Hallie." Renendez explained feeling bad. Hallie rolled her eyes and stared straight ahead. "I'm not the one you need to apologize to. The real person who you betrayed is Vanerro." Hallie said with a soft tone in her voice. "She won't be in school for a few days. She's planning her dad's funeral with my moms. They don't know what happened and I don't think she's gonna tell them." Renendez said sitting down next to her. Hallie scooted away from him. "Hallie-" He reached for her arm and she snatched it away, trying to keep tears from falling. "I-I think you should leave now." She said putting her head down. She felt his breathing become heavy and his body shift. He got up and stood over her for a minute. She buried her face deep into her knees as she heard his steps slowly fade away from her. Then she heard the front door shut.

 Then she heard the front door shut