Chapter 16: Silence

Alfred's POV

This was boring. Really boring. I just wanted to go outside, not just sit here all day long and wait. I exhaled.

My bed was next to window, so I could watch outside. City looked as boring as always. Of course, some of the buildings were colorful, but it was rare. Usually I would just watch the people in the city.

I didn't even have any roommates. Nurses would just say that "Your Majesty needs time to be alone and recover" and "Peasants are not noble enough to be in the same room with you". Even deaf and mute man would be better than those lifeless, white walls and that annoying, ticking clock. I wanted to broke it, but then I wouldn't know the time.

When I woke for the first time, pain had been too much. I thought I had died, but when you die, you can't feel pain anymore, right? Then I thought I had been sent to place where I had to suffer for an eternity.

Second time, the pain had almost vanished. Although, if I tried to sit up, it felt like they had thrusted a hot knife inside my stomach.

Third time, there hadn't been pain at all. Then I had met Arthur. He told me they were going to attack - without me! Of course, I wanted to help them and not just lie here doing nothing.

But, I couldn't do much, and that was the worst part. I wanted to escape that boy, who watched me with judgemental eyes. When I saw nightmares, I always saw him. And Matthew. And that soldier who had called me "Murderer King".

Maybe I could ask from mother what he had meant. Father hadn't told me about the nightmares. Did every soldier get them after their first battle? Or am I just an expection?

I sighed, but then laughed shortly. I glanced at the clock and realized how late it is. Two hours after Arthur had left. Speaking of him, they hadn't returned yet. Had something happened? I hope not.

I must've fallen asleep, because when I opened my eyes, I saw sun rising on the blue sky. I opened my mouth to call Tin or one of the other nurses here, but then the door opened.

Nurse wasn't Tin. She was a old-looking, chubby woman, and had a stern expression on her face.

"Very good morning, your Majesty. Did you sleep well?" Her happy voice was in contradict with her expression.

"Yes, but has Queen and his troops return yet?" I asked, my voice full of worry and impatience. Nurse turned up her nose before answering.

"They have returned, but-"

"Is Queen all right?" I interrupted her.

" - they almost-" Nurse raised her voice.

"Is he?"

" - lost." I realized what she had said.

"Can you please repeat?" Nurse repeated the news and gave me bowl of soup and bread. I started eating.

"What else?" I asked, after I had eaten. Nurse had started to clean up my wound. I winced, when she put the cloth, which had been dampened in alcohol, on it.

"Well, you have to ask him to come here." Nurse said.

"But-"

"I'll send one of the nurses to look for him after this." She changed the bandages quickly. When she was leaving, I asked:

"What is your name?" Nurse turned her head to look at me.

"My name is Kirstin Rockstein." And then she left.

---------------

After fifteen minutes door opened again, and Arthur walked on sight. He looked tired, but otherwise he was fine. I sighed internally.

Arthur sat down on the chair. Silence was again between us. I slowly sat up. Luckily I didn't feel any pain.

"Well, why did you want to see me?" His voice was impatient.

"I was worried about you. And what happened in the battle? Nurse said you almost lost." I trembled.

"Yes." He answered finally.

"Tell me."

He told me everything. How he had killed a guard, how they had almost lost, but then reinforcement had arrived. They weren't major Joshua's troops, but troops from city of Six of Spades. My command had finally reached Six of Spades, I thought, my expression satisfied.

"Then we had to retreat. The losses would be too much, if we have continued battle." He said and sighed. He didn't say anything anymore, but I took his hand to mine.

There was no spoken words between us on that silent moment. 

"Anyway, enough of this. When you will get out of here?" Arthur asked and yanked his hand away.

I thought. "Maybe after two or three days?" I said hesitantly. Truth to be told, I haven't even thought about asking that.

"We're going to attack soon again." He said and huffed.

"What's wrong?"

"I hope you will recover soon. I don't want to lead your army any longer." He turned to look the clock, and I smirked.

"Ah, I understand. You want me to come back because -"

"Shh, you git!" He exclaimed, blushing.

"You're cute." Arthur looked like he wanted to say something rude, but then he just started stuttering about how stupid I can be.

I laughed.

Usually people didn't laugh when war was going on, but I was different. I was a King, yes.

But I was happy, too.

Me: *extremely pissed off*

Also me: *watching American Horror Story and eating chocolate* This is not healthy, but whatever