Chapter 18: Assassin

Alfred's POV

I walked through the camp of some sort, trying to find Yao. I had recovered enough to stand up and walk, but I couldn't run yet. Nurses had banned me that I couldn't go outside, but of course I haven't listened them.

"King has recovered!"

"We'll win this war!" Whispers followed me, until I saw Yao with major Werner.

"Yao!" I yelled. He startled, until he turned to look at me. I walked to them.

"King Alfred!" Major Werner bowed deeply.

"Alfred, what are you doing here?" Yao asked sternly, without any soft emotion on his face or in his eyes. 

"I'm came here to see you. Are you blind?" I joked.

"What? No! Alfred, take this more seriously. We are in war."  Yao scolded. I didn't listen, but I noticed someone was missing.

"Where is Arthur? I thought he would've returned already."

"Didn't his Highness tell you? They attacked to Ten of Spades." Major answered.

"He told me they were going to attack but he didn't tell, where." I felt slightly betrayed. Why didn't he tell me? I was the King, after all. Or maybe he didn't want to worry me or something.

"What is your plan?" I asked after a moment.

"It's Arthur's plan." Yao corrected me. "But we are going to attack to Nine of Spades after in two days, when they have conquered Ten of Spades back." I nodded. 

"Your Majesty!" Someone yelled. I turned my head and saw a messenger boy. He panted heavily when he got to us.

"Ten of.... Spades has.... Been... Conquered... Back." Soldiers, who were near us, cheered. I smiled. He had done it and without the hero's help!

"When we attack to Nine of Spades?" One of the soldiers asked.

"After two days we'll attack and I'll come with you!" I raised my voice. Soldiers' expressions looked hopeful; maybe we could win this war.

"King Alfred, your Majesty, what are you doing here?" A happy female voice said. I groaned, before Kirstin flicked me. Her expression was furious, and I got a déjà-vu again, but Kirstin wasn't Arthur.

"My King, although you can walk, you shouldn't be here with these robust men." She scolded, but I saw a small smile on her face when she said 'robust'.

"Ah, my dear wife Kirstin!" Major Werner smiled warmly, before walking in front of his wife and kissing her. This earned few 'yucks' from younger soldiers. Truth to be told, I, too, turned my head to look away. Older soldiers just laughed.

"Tsk, Werner, not in front of the crowd." She scolded, smiling. She turned her attention to me. "And you, runaway King, will come with me."

I looked at Yao pleadingly. "Don't let her take me!" This earned more laughs. "She'll punish me!"

"Of course I will, my dear." She took my arm to her grip - which wasn't gentle at all - and dragged me with her.

I groaned again. "Yao and major Werner, don't you dare to attack without me!" I yelled to them.

They just laughed, but I noticed there were tears in Yao's eyes.

Why?

--------------

Moon had risen to the clear star sky. I should be sleeping, but I couldn't sleep. I glanced at the clock. 23:40.

I had got my life's worst scolding from Kirstin. She had said that I was the most irresponsible patient she had ever nursed. I had smiled sheepishly. She had also said I was suicidal idiot.