Chapter 25: Surprise

Arthur's POV

I looked out of the carriage's window. It was raining outside, so roads were muddy. I glanced Alfred, who was sitting opposite me. He had been unusually quiet for these past few days.

"Thank you, Arthur." Alfred suddenly said.

"For what?" I turned my attention at him.

"For being with me for all this time." 

I smiled shortly. "You're welcome." Alfred grinned.

"You're the best, Artie!"

"My name's Arthur, not Artie."

The carriage stopped. A soldier came and opened the door and I walked outside. Almost immediately, a servant appeared with an umbrella. Alfred walked next to me, kissing me quickly on cheek. I blushed and stuttered something about kissing in public. The King just laughed for the first time since Theresa died.

We walked until we arrived at Theresa's grave. On the tombstone, there read:

Here rests
Queen Theresa, King Aedan's wife
King Alfred and prince Matthew's mother
Cause of death: Illness
Final words: "I'm sorry, Alfred, my son."

"I'll never understand why do they put final words there." Alfred mumbled. All the nobles, who had been close to Theresa, had come to say their last farewells. Yao hadn't been very close to Alfred's mother, so he hadn't come.

"Me neither." I said. When it was our turn, nobles backed away, as if to honor the King and his sorrow. I stayed behind Alfred, when he put a rose on the tombstone. He said something, but I didn't hear what. After a moment he turned, sad look in his eyes.

I walked in front of the grave and put my hand on it. I hoped that this would work.

"Arthur?" Alfred asked hesitantly behind me. I didn't care, but started to enchant a spell under my breath.

"Time shall not touch this grave, shall her memory be remembered until this world crumbles to dust. Moss won't touch this, so let all know who this person was." I took my hand off from it, before stumbling a bit.

"Are you all right?" Alfred asked, when I turned around.

"Yes." All the nobles had left the place, so we were only one left. The rain had stopped.

"What did you do?" He asked, when I started walking towards the carriage.

"I enchanted a spell, so moss can't touch your mother's grave. Even when we are dead, people will know who is buried there." I explained.

"... Thanks."

"You don't have to thank me, Alfred."

Silence fell between us, but it wasn't awkward or heavy, but calm.

------------

Few days later, I walked in the rose garden. Everything was normal again, but the castle felt a bit empty. Of course, Alfred was obnoxious and oblivious as ever, but Yao... He had been behaving strangely. I had offered my help to him, but he had turned down my proposition almost instantly. I should tell Alfred about Yao's behavior.

Speaking of Alfred, he said he has a surprise for me, when he had done his jobs. I had, of course, done mine. Well, finally I could get a break from those annoying nobles. I sat down on the bench, taking a rose from the bush and fiddling with it. I wonder what surprise is it, but if I know him well enough, it must be something silly or funny. I closed my eyes. It was finally summer, so roses were blooming.

"Ouch!" I hissed, when rose's thorn cut my palm. I healed the wound with my magic.

"Your Highness!" Somebody yelled and I raised my head. I sighed, when I saw a messenger, who ran towards me. Well, there goes the afternoon's peacefulness. When he was in front me, he bowed deeply, panting.

"I am sorry to interrupt your afternoon moment, but I have important news from Ten of Spades." He said.

"Well, state your business." I said coldly.

"Uhm... Major Dan is dead." He finally blurted out.

"How?"

"He... He killed himself by stealing a knife from the kitchen and slicing his throat and wrists open." He looked slightly nauseated. I guess he saw his body.

I nodded slowly after a moment. "Bury him in a honorable ceremony. Although he made a mistake at the end of his life, he was a good soldier and a major."

The messenger nodded. "Yes sir!" I conjured a needlework and started to do it. For some reason, Theresa had taught me how to do a needlework. The messenger looked uneasy.

"May I ask you one thing, your Highness?" I nodded.

"Did", He gulped, "did major Dan really do it to you?"

I squinted my eyes. "Don't ask that ever again, but... No, he didn't." The boy nodded, before bowing again.

"I thank you for answering to my question. I-"

"Now, go, please." I interrupted him. He nodded and left. I sighed.

"What did he do to you?" A deep voice asked. I startled and turned my head to look at Alfred. His eyes were full of anger.

"So your heard our conversation?" I asked instead of replying. He nodded and walked in front of me.

"What did he do to you?" He asked again.

"I-"

"Tell me!" He yelled. I looked at him, shocked. He had never yelled at me. Never. I trembled slightly. From fear or from shock, I couldn't tell. When Alfred saw my expression, his anger vanished and it was replaced with regret. He sat next to me.

"I'm sorry, Arthur. I didn't mean to yell." He said to me quietly, before kissing my cheek briefly.

"He... He tried to rape me." I said finally. I told him everything about that morning.

"What? I'll kill him!"

"He is already dead, Alfred. You can't kill him." I noted.

"Yes, but... I really want to. And why didn't you tell me?" His hands clenched into fists.

"I didn't want to worry you." Alfred nodded, though he pouted slightly.

"Anyway, let's leave this behind. I have a surprise for you!" He beamed and stood up, walking in front of me again. I looked at him, confused. What was this about?

He took a little box out of his pocket and knelt down. I felt tears of happiness gathering in my eyes, as I realized what he was going to do.

"Arthur, I love you and I hope you feel the same way. Will you marry me?" He asked, slightly blushing, but smiling nonetheless.

"Yes, oh yes!" I sobbed and smiled at the same time. Alfred put the the simple, but beautiful ring to my ring finger. I stood up, Alfred did the same and we kissed. Suddenly, Alfred lifted me in the air, holding me on my waist. I let out a surprised yelp as he swinged me around, smiling that signature grin of his. I smiled too, as he put me down again.

"I love you." He whispered to me.

*Ugly crying because I watched Captain Jellyroll's videos Love Language, Heat-Haze Days and Boats and Birds*

>.< Help me, that ending was too cute