Chapter 28: Farewell

Alfred's POV

"NO!" A cry escaped from my mouth, as I tried to grab his hand. I knew I couldn't save him, but still, I had to try. It was like everything moved in slow motion. I reached for him, Arthur blinking his eyes in surprise and panic, our fingers' tips brushing each other, before he fell. I watched his falling, although I knew I will never forget it. He didn't even yell.

"No.." I muttered, choking back a sob. I couldn't believe he was d- I couldn't even bring myself to think it. My Queen, my love, my everything, was gone. Just like that. Like Matthew. From my mind's corner, which isn't numbed by pain, rose a thought like a phoenix rises from the ashes.

It is the Jokers' fault. It's their fault that Arthur is dead.

I raised my head to look at the Jokers, pure hatred in my eyes. My hands clenched into fists.

"Oh, he is angry." Gilbert said. He had apparently walked next to Peter. Or just teleported, like in childrens' fairytales. I rose up, running towards Peter, trying to hit him. Then, I found myself on my knees, my hands behind my back.

"The table turned." Peter whispered to my ear. I struggled, trying to get myself free from the invisible chains.

"Why? Why did you kill him? Why not me?" I yelled, tears streaming down on my cheeks. The Jokers looked at each other and then nodded. I sobbed, although I tried my hardest not to. The anger had disappeared, and now I felt only emptiness and sadness in my chest.

"Look, Alfred, we are sorry." Gilbert said and I scowled at him.

"You killed him!" I hissed.

Peter sighed. He isn't even shocked that his descendant is dead?

"We are over thousand years old, King of Spades. Do you really think that we haven't killed a single person after we were born, even when we were human?" Peter asked dryly, sounding so much like Arthur that it hurt. "I may look like a child, but I'm older than you, so that kissing thing isn't even a bad thing."

"Why then you were disguised as Yao?" I asked from Gilbert. "And why you kissed me in the first place?"

"Hmm... To get closer to you." The albino answered.

"I am surprised you haven't figured it out." Peter chuckled and somersaulted in air. I raised an eyebrow. "Well..."

"This is just a game. Or a test, so you can understand." The boy said after a moment. "When a new King, a Queen and a Jack are crowned, few months after that we try to get them in a place, which has a lot of sentimental value to one of three, like this cliff has to you. We test them to see are they dangerous to us." Peter shrugged.

I was in awe, but the same time, angry. Such a weird reason to me. "Why?"

Gilbert answered instead of Peter. "Well, there has been a King of Diamonds with magical abilities, and she knew from the day when she heard the word 'Joker' that we weren't just a fairy tale, which was supposed to scare childs off. When she became a King, she tried to.. Do things with us. I mean, we are almost immortal." I listened carefully.

"And she died in a accident." I added, when I remembered the story. Jokers nodded.

"But... Was Arthur then dangerous to you?" I gulped, fearing for the answer. Peter shook his head.

"We didn't know that the cliff would crumble. But the answer is no." 

"Why didn't you help him?" My voice rose. Gilbert shrugged.

"We don't want to play with the fate. It was his fate to die today." I looked around, and noticed that the sun had almost set. My blood ran cold, when I remembered the prophecy.