Blossoms

SONG OF THE SHOT:
Anna Sun - WALK THE MOON

➰➰➰

"It's only for a few days! I'm sure you can manage for that long by yourself, Adrien," Marinette spoke, shaking her head at her best friend. "But I'll be so lonely! Are you sure you can't stay here?" Adrien asked. She sighed, reaching out to touch his shoulder in what should have been received as a friendly gesture. At least, to her it was.

For Adrien, it was a complete distraction. The way her feather light fingers rested on his shoulder, it was utterly fluttering. Her pointer finger came into contact with the tip of the skin of his collar bone.

He knew she was saying something, but he could not, for the life of him, comprehend the sweet words escaping her pink lips. "... and that's why I bought a horse. You know, they say those animals help to ward off evil, alien spirits," she finished. Crap, what?

"From that look on your face, I can tell you tuned out a good few minutes ago," she spoke, filled with playful amusement. Adrien emitted a shy smile, "Sorry, Mari." "No worries, Pal," Marinette laughed, annoyingly removing her hand from his frame.

Okay, that hurt. Sure, she made sure to remind him that they were simply elementary school best friends who maintained their undeniable friendship and just happened to live together seventeen years later. But, did she need to break his heart internally every time?

"Why are you leaving me again?"

"To visit Nathanael," Mari blushed, hiding some of her perfect face into her scarf. Ugh, not this guy again. She had been crushing since middle school, with no courage to back her up. Then again, who was he to speak badly of her love situation. He was, pathetically, the exact same as his love.

"How do you know that he's even single? I mean, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, but what if it doesn't work out? What's next?"

"That's what I'm set out to find for myself. If he... if certain circumstances present themselves and he isn't available, I'm sure another person will make his way into my life."

Oh how Adrien wished she would give up her unrequited pursuit and see the man standing in front of her. Snapping out of it, he focused on how her fingers fiddled with her purse strap, a nervous habit she picked up in the fourth grade. He reached out to grab her uneasy hands, relaxing her digits.

"Hey. I'm sure he's gonna like you back. If not, he's a hellion and you never deserved him in the first place," he whispered in all seriousness. The innocent look she flashed showcased just how vulnerable and scared the woman truly was. He wanted nothing more than her complete happiness.

"You think so?" Marinette inquired shakily, gripping onto Adrien's shirt sleeve tightly. "I know so," he responded.

With a heavy sigh, she readied her courage, straightening her posture. The hold she had on her bag strap confirmed her building confidence. "Adrien, you're the absolute best guy friend I could ever have. Thank you!"

With a hurried flash, Marinette flew out of the apartment, leaving a trace of her delicious scent behind, driving Adrien and his longing hormones insane. His Adam's apple bobbed, lowering sullenly, as his love had left him for another fickle man.

The next few hours alone were absolute torture for the blonde. Everything in his field of sight reminded him of the ever unattainable Marinette. Needing to take a walk to clear his head, Adrien grabbed his keys and set out for some fresh air.