Expensive Coffee

SONG OF THE SHOT:
Lovebug - Jonas Brothers

➰➰➰

The air smelled distinctly of coffee beans inside of the quaint shop. Marinette was deciding upon which drink to order, having trouble due to several options looking equally tasty. Before she could declare her final menu choice, a male's voice boomed from just behind her.

"One drip coffee with a blueberry scone. And, whatever the lady so desires," he spoke smoothly, internally embarrassing Marinette, who caught onto his insinuating vocabulary. She glanced over her shoulder at him, wondering who would propose such a deal.

"What? It's on me. Can't a nice guy pay for a pretty girl's drink without any hesitations?" the blonde stranger questioned. Choosing to play along with his little game, she said, "One hot chocolate and six lemon pound cake slices. To go."

To say she was slightly offended by the man, apparently only interacting with her due to her above average looks, would be an understatement. As he was already holding out his flashy, gold credit card, she snatched it. Marinette looked at the name on the card and signed for one A. Agreste and selected the create your own tip option to pay the barista an extra forty-five dollars. Why not have a little fun?

"Cute move, Blue Eyes. Good thing money is no object to me. How about we set a spell and chat? It's the least you can do after racking up my coffee bill so high," the blonde guy suggested, giving off a timid smile, not willing to give up on the beaut so easily. She could tell that he wasn't trying to push her, but maintained a slight arrogance to boot, while wanting to remain in her company just the same.

Marinette felt a slight pull to give in and give the bold blonde boy a chance. "I've got exactly twenty minutes to spare before my break is up," she said as they waited patiently for their order at the bar. "That's perfect. I've got exactly twenty minutes before I have to be on set," he reciprocated easily.

"You're an actor then?" Marinette asked. "No, not exactly. I'm a fashion model." Well, that actually made sense due to a quick glance up and down on his evidently toned physique.

"What is it that you model?" His easy going smile faltered. Sensing hesitant apprehension radiating from the boy, she quickly changed the subject. "Uh, my name's Marinette, by the way."

"I'm Adrien."

Adrien pulled out a chair at a small neighboring table, offering the seat to her. Once she sat down, he pushed her in, just like a true gentleman would. She nodded a thanks his way as Adrien took his own chair across from her. A look of triumph flashed on his face before dissipating into thin air.

The two had fallen into quite the uncomfortable silence, almost more worse than the unsuspecting prick of a cactus. Marinette shifted slightly, searching for any conversion starter at all. Truthfully, she had never been asked out on a date. Sure, she was nineteen years old and had attractive qualities to her, but the other sex had always eluded her. That, and she was too focused on schoolwork and fostering her future career to give anyone a chance, let alone look them in the eye.

If this was what dating was like, she was good if she never went on another one again. Sneaking a peek up from her fiddling fingers, she caught Adrien staring right at her, almost like he never intended to look away. "Do I have something on my face?" she asked, taking the liberty to rub her face throughly with both hands, checking for stray crumbs or pencil marks.