Underdog Of The Downward Dogs

SONG OF THE SHOT:
Boyfriend - Justin Bieber

➰➰➰

"I'm telling you Nino, this is the best place to pick up chicks," Adrien stated as he slung his arm around his best friend's neck. "No. That's wrong. You just want another excuse to flirt with that cute girl from the yoga class you accidentally took last week," he retorted, knowing Adrien's real reason for wanting to workout in such a manner. "Can you blame me? She was a dream," Adrien fluttered his eyes just thinking of the dark haired beauty. It was true, he had meant to take kickboxing, but wound up in relaxing yoga instead. He was surprised by the workout the practice actually was.

"I just really don't understand. You have enough dignity to do yoga, publicly, and yet you didn't have enough guts to get her number." At Nino's words, his shoulders widened. "And that is why you're here. Make sure I get the chance to talk to her before we leave or else I can't play video games for a whole week."

"You're willing to punish yourself over one girl? That's harsh."

"Not if I get to take said girl our on a date, it isn't."

Nino chuckled. "Whatever you say, man."

The pair had entered the multipurpose room of the gym they regularly attended. They were the first ones there, Adrien wanting to be plenty early just in case. Getting situated on his borrowed yoga mat, Adrien sat crisscrossed, fiddling with the hem of his shorts in nervousness. What would he even say if he saw her again? Would she even like him? Did he apply enough deodorant to last the entire duration of the exercise? These questions and more heckled his flustering brain.

"Relax, Bro. You'll do just fine."

Sighing, he nodded, agreeing with Nino. "I'm just feeling stupid doing this, but anything for you, Bro." Nino said, roughing up Adrien's hair a bit. "Hey! Don't mess it up!" Nino cringed at how much of a girl his friend sounded like just then.

Fifteen minutes ticked by. Other girls of all ages trickled in, setting up their space with a mat and a foam block, slipping their shoes off before class began. The instructor entered, taking a little bit of time to turn off the overhead lights and flick on two lamps on each side of the room. Adrien kept his green eyes peeled, checking to make sure none of the other people in the room were his girl. He was shocked by how many people there were.

"We're going to start by slowing our breathing down. We'll begin with sitting crossed, eyes closed and hands on your knees," the instructor spoke softly, not competing with the relaxing music she played other the speakers. Nino shot Adrien a pitiful look, knowing how bummed the blonde was over the absence of one person. Just as his body took the position of chaturanga ten minutes later, the door creaked open.

A person tiptoed to the only spot available, which was to the left of Adrien's mat. His eyes remain closed until he heard a small curse next to him. Peeking one eye open at the newcomer, he was face to face with the girl from last week. Adrien's heart rate spiked, his balance faltering slightly, causing him to face-plant the ground.

"Do you happen to have an extra block?" she asked him, eyeing both of his foam squares. He nodded, not trusting his voice to sound steady, allowing their fingers to brush slightly as he handed her one. "Thank you," the girl whispered.

"Alright, now we're going into our forward fold," the instructor said.

"That's a bit of a stretch," Adrien mumbled toward the girl, poking fun of how he could barely manage to touch the front of his shins. She snickered at his words. Puns, of course! If this girl could laugh at that one, quiet play of words, what else was she capable of laughing at?

"You know, I had to bend over backwards to get my best friend over here to try out yoga." The beautiful girl snickered. "Really?" she whispered. "When I first told him about how I actually enjoyed the exercise, he thought I was just a poser." She tried to calm her giggles while shushing him down.

"He really wanted to leave when we got here and wanted me to too, but I told him 'Namaste'." Sweet laughter rang in his ears. They both had to keep it down, not wanting to upset others around them.

By this point, their instructor had the class going up and down from downward dog to upward-facing dog. "One might call this yo-yoga," Adrien clamored, trying his best to contain control of his balancing body. "Oh my goodness," she whispered back. "No need to get bent out of shape, Miss," he replied. At this, she hummed, rolling her eyes as she attempted to focus on the instructors example of poses.

Bent like a pretzel in a pose called the lizard, Adrien pushed his luck yet again. "Can I pre-pose an idea?" Gaining her attention again, she looked as though she was waiting on his suggestion. "Knock, knock." The girl eyed him, unsure of where this was leading. "Who's there?"

"Yoga!"

"Yoga who?"

"Yoga to allow me to take you out on a date sometime."

Her mouth popped open, as if she was genuinely floored. This little comment of his caused the girl to throw her equilibrium off kilter, resulting in what was once an inverted warrior to become a bent noodle on the ground. "Are you okay?" Adrien asked, bending down to check on her, one hand on her shoulder, the other on her cheek. She nodded slowly, eyes clouded.

The instructor, as well as the class, carried on, not concerned with the two in the back corner of the room. Oh how easy it was for Adrien to get lost in her gorgeous eyes, even if they were hard to discern in the dark. "Were you serious about wanting to go on a date with me?" she asked, her tone holding something other than the lightheartedness it did just moments ago. Adrien nodded. "More serious than the instructor and her need for meditation."

"And this isn't a trick or dirty joke?" her eyes were fishing around his, ceaselessly searching. "Yes, Miss." She smiled. "Marinette is my name."

"I'm Adrien."

"Ahem." They turned to see the instructor and everyone else in the class looking in their direction. "Either remain silent, or continue your conversation elsewhere."

Shrugging, Adrien abandoned Nino as he grabbed Marinette's wrist and fled the room, eventually exiting the gym altogether. "Ready to start our date now, Marinette?" She paused. "Not really, I mean, look at me! I'm not wearing any makeup and my clothes are-"

"Hugging you in all the right places. Besides, yoganna have too much fun on this date with me, nothing else will matter, M'Lady." Marinette's eyes widened at his kind compliments and confidence. Collecting her confidence, she said, "Yogata plan for this?"

"One step, or stretch ahead of you."