Frightening Photographs

SONG OF THE SHOT:
Haunted - Taylor Swift

➰➰➰

With a baby pink bow and frilly dress dawned on her body, Marinette struggled to find enough courage to visit the house on the hill. It was a crazy, stupid dare her immature classmates created. Marinette was sick of looking like a scared child and wished to prove what her bravery, albeit sheltered, was worth. She had finally turned eighteen, and needed to show that she was as fearless as any other adult she knew. The slight clip of her Mary Jane shoes calmed her coiling nerves.

There were urban legends, of course, mostly spiraling from the cemetery that was more than one hundred years old. It resided just next to this house, decrepit and crumbling away by every stream of wind it surpassed. The real reason no one enjoyed visiting the home was due to the sole inhabitant. Chat Noir.

Story claims that he has been living since the Civil War and had yet to pass. Somehow, it was as though he as immortal. The creeped out faces of the individuals who spoke of this man were enough to keep people away. Marinette took pity on the isolated man, not wishing a hermit's life on anyone, even the nasties who dared her.

She apprehensively stood at the chipped red door, knocking on it while disregarding each internal warning signal that was emerging. As if it had known no lock and key, the door slid open from the light rapping. "Hello?" she inquired, hoping Chat Noir would make an appearance sooner than later.

Out of no where, the fluttery sound of piano keys drifted into the air. She followed the music, trying her absolute best to navigate in the dusty darkness. "Anyone there?" Marinette timidly asked, not expecting a returning answer. As she descended, the piano seemed to get increasingly louder. Not one candle was alit as she continued, blindly navigating the old house.

She came across the area where the piano was, only seeing the tip of it as she peeked around the corner. As Marinette did not feel threatened, she slowly left the comfort of hiding behind the doorway.

Chat Noir was nothing like he was made out to be. There weren't any horns, scales or massive figure to speak of. Instead, he looked like a human, just with extra features. He had soft kitten ears protruding from his hair, gloves with small claws and a tail. The rest of him was cloaked in black attire, much like his decor that surrounded him. Folklore was twisted over time, people forgetting what he actually looked like.

He looked melodious as he continued his lulling tune. The clip of his claws tickled the keys, placing her into a trance. To her knowledge, Chat Noir had yet to spot her, making sure his eyes remained closed as she moved to be directly in front of the bench he was happily perched upon. With one final sigh, his song came to a close, eyes still locked shut.

"Doesn't that just put you on a cloud?"

Marinette jumped, wondering how he noticed her with unopened eyes. "I can sense movement. That, and I can read the minds of people that are near me," he spoke before unlidding his magnificent green eyes. She now understood why he was called Chat Noir. It was those cat-like pupils that seemed to hold her gaze.

"It's rude to stare, My Dear," Chat spoke haughtily, snickering at her wordless expression. Marinette opened her mouth, yet no sound escaped. She just looked like a gaping fish. When she finally became cognizant, she said, "I'm sorry to intrude, Mr. Noir, but you play the piano beautifully, if I do say so myself." Marinette gushed quietly, hoping to neither offend or grow scared of the cat man.

"I don't believe I've been so kindly complimented before. Thank you."

"Um... no problem," she whispered, keeping the volume down again. "I'm surprised that you made your presence known. Most others would have fled for the hills by now. Why not you?" Chat Noir inquired, inquisitively wondering what this strange girl had to say.