2x01 - Moving In + Season 2 Character Profiles

OPENING SCENE

[Calabasas, California in 1948]

Maxwell Hawking taps on his vintage typewriter in a dark library office. A gold class ring shines as a door opens. A figure in a red cloak appears from behind. Maxwell looks to the side, but not behind, because he already knows who it is.

MAXWELL: What took you so long?

Maxwell turns his chair around facing the figure.

The red hood drops and Christopher Mendes laughs sinisterly.

CHRISTOPHER: This is your last chance, Maxwell.

MAXWELL: I'd rather die than live a traitor.

Christopher chuckles. He takes a deep breath, lifts a knife from his cloak, and plunges it deep into Maxwell's chest.

Maxwell freezes as the blood drips. He grabs onto Christopher's arm.

MAXWELL: ...Let this moment be etched in Hawking stone forever.

Maxwell chokes and breathes his last breath.

Christopher sways the red cloak over Maxwell's dead body.

CUT TO BLACK

[JUNE 2027]

A matte black convertible races through the Pacific Highway. Palm trees sway in the California wind. White granny framed sunglasses sit on Jamie Mathews' face.

A 'SOLD' sign sits at the end of a large mansion. As Jamie pulls up into an unfamiliar driveway, Avery and Stella run out the front door. Jamie parks just as they reach her car.

AVERY: Ahh!!! I love it.

STELLA: We just finished loading up the last of the furniture.

JAMIE: Did you tip Sebastian?

STELLA: Were we supposed to?

JAMIE: Yes.

STELLA: Oops.

Jamie giggles and lifts off her sunglasses.

JAMIE: Alright, show me.

The girls run into the front door. A grand central staircase takes much of the view. A red carpet flows down the starch white stairs. Stella and Avery run up the stairs as Jamie smiles in awe.

JAMIE: The furniture looks amazing. I swear, it's like a totally new house from when it was empty.

STELLA: It's not all of it. Steven's still sorting out the details with my mom about Nanna's art pieces. Trust me, the vision I have in my head is iconic.

JAMIE: I trust you.

The girls giggle.

A fire-haired woman walks in the front door, uninvited, wearing a little black dress. Pearls drape around her neck giving her an aura of luxury.

FIONA: You must be the new neighbors.

Jamie turns to face the woman.

FIONA: Fiona Hawking, I live next door.

AVERY: That wicked mansion? It makes the White House look lower class.

FIONA: You're too sweet!

JAMIE: I'm Jamie.

Jamie shakes Fiona's hand.

JAMIE: And this is Stella and Avery.

FIONA: Where are you guys from?