✴Chapter 21: Whistle In The Wind

Davina looked down at her clasped hands. She was sitting on the bed for a while now, doing completely nothing, just staring at the floor and waiting. She kept waiting patiently there until it was time to finally go and find Kol in order to start their little trip through the forest.

“Davina!” called her out Rebekah as soon as she spotted the little witch heading downstairs. A concerned expression was written all over her face, quickly pulling Davina's hands into hers. “Please don't tell me what Elijah said was true. About you and Kol leaving together to find the hunters."

Davina exhaled heavily and nodded her head. “It's true Rebekah. I have to go. I-”

“Davina this is dangerous! Why don't you let the men deal with them? You have no idea how sinister they are! Besides, how can you even protect yourself from them? You will be powerless and-”

“Rebekah listen to me,” Davina attempted to calm the blonde girl down, placing her palms on Rebekah's shoulders. “Everything will be fine. I know what I am doing. Kol and I will be back tomorrow night, I promise.”

“But...”

“No ‘buts’. We'll be safe. Don't worry okay?” Davina's reassuring words appeared to have an influence on Rebekah, who seemed much more relaxed. It was strange to see the vulnerable side of Rebekah, since Davina thought of her as a very bold and dynamic woman. But again, this was the human Rebekah we were taking about.

Rebekah shrugged her shoulders with a sigh. “Just... Be careful. And, I know it will sound stupid but, you seem way more responsible than my siblings. If you can, keep an eye on my brother. He tends to become reckless when it comes to things like this.”

Davina smiled genuinely. “Alright. I'll make sure nothing goes wrong.” she replied and staggered out of their house.

While the sun was going down, the people of the village were gathering around the bonfire they had set; some men were throwing dry branches on the fire, poking the embers into flames while others were sitting on fallen logs by the fire. In general though, they seemed to be having fun. Laughing, talking, drinking, dancing. They were all so contented and carefree. Unconsciously, the little witch giggled. Would it be bad if she said that she liked it here? There was nothing to worry about here. Okay, apart from a couple of problems with the hunters, everything was so serene.

Too bad though this was all a memory. A memory that soon would have to come to an end. Even those people there existed one thousand years ago. Davina furrowed her eyebrows, closed her eyes and turned her gaze away from the bonfire. Who was she kidding, this was absurd.

A hand on her shoulder made her eyes fly open. “What are doing, love?”

She turned her head to the side only to see Kol looking down at her, his eyes boring into hers. Since there was no sunlight anymore, his eyes seemed even darker, ever more mysterious.

Davina chuckled, shrugging her shoulders. “Nothing, really. I was just... looking at those people there. They seem so joyful.”

Kol followed Davina's gaze, a grin soon appearing on his lips. “You think?” he said. “Well, I hadn't really noticed before. I guess I was just used to seeing them like that.”

“Kol, come on, aren't we going already?” a third voice joined their conversation, a head peeking over Kol's shoulder and the dark blue eyes of the stranger meeting those of Davina's. “Ah, ya must be the beauty who's coming with us. Davina, wasn't it?”

Davina smiled, furrowing her eyebrows confusingly. “Yes, that's me. And you must be...?”

The young man walked around Kol, taking Davina's hand and kissing the top of it lightly. “I usually go by the name Ethan. I didn't have a choice though there, to be honest.”