12 - Unexpected Encounters

DESIREE

"Trabaho lang, ok?", paalala ko sa sarili ko.

I placed my hand over my chest and felt my heartbeat.

"Kapag ikaw, nag-palpitate na naman... pareho tayong malalagot. Alam mo naman yun diba?"

I blew a loud breath and waved my hands to shake off the nerves. I then went out of the car and took all my needed equipment from the backseat.

"Kaya mo 'to, Des."

Ngayon yung birthday ng Mama ni Kib. Gustuhin ko mang iwasan muna ang lalaking yon eh medyo malabo kasi naka-promise na akong i-shoot yung event. Isa pa, pangarap ko rin mag-cover ng family affair so might as well make the most out of this.

The back of their house was transformed into a majestic setting with all the white-covered tables, rattan chairs, vibrant-colored bean bags and hanging lights. The sound of the waves created a soulful music to match the celebration.

Pagtapak ko pa lang sa buhangin ay narinig ko nang may tumawag sa akin.

"Des!", Khryzia was running towards me in her green sundress.

"Oh my gosh, you look gorgeous!", she exclaimed upon seeing me. "I can't wait for Mama to meet you."

"Ikaw din naman. Told you that dress would look good on you.", I returned the compliment with a smile.

Three days ago, inaya ako ni Khryzia mag-shop ng isusuot para sa araw na 'to. I chose a white off-shoulder chiffon dress with minimal floral prints.

"Let me help you.", she said as she reached out to get my laptop bag. Tatanggi sana ako pero binanatan niya ako ng magtatampo-ako-sayo line kaya hinayaan ko na rin siya.

I followed her until we reached their family's table. Kib wasn't there yet, much to my relief.

Hindi pa nagsasalita si Khryzia pero naramdaman kong napatingin na sila sa akin.

"Hi Achi Des!", Klyde waved and I greeted back.

"Oh my, it's really you.", the lady exclaimed. She looked radiant in her peach dress and flower crown. No doubt she's the mom who's celebrating her 50th birthday today.

I smiled and slightly bowed my head. I fumbled through my backpack when I remembered na meron nga pala akong gift.

I took the small white box wrapped in a gold ribbon and handed it to her.

"Happy birthday po.", I greeted.

"Naku iha, nag-abala ka pa. It's more than enough that you're here. For sure nasabi na sayo ni Khryzia na favorite ka namin.", she said.

"Ahhh, eh... Opo.", nahihiya kong sagot. "And simple lang naman po yan. I still hope you'll like it.", I said, referring to the present. I got her a gold necklace with a Palawan pearl pendant.

"I'm sure I will. Thank you, dear. Pero bakit ang dami mo yatang dala?", she asked.

"Oo nga, plano mo bang mag-overnight dito sa amin? Welcome na welcome ka.", said the man beside her. I believe he's the husband.

"OMG that'd be fun!", Khryzia exclaimed and held my arm. Masyado pong maligalig ang pamilyang 'to. Na-miss ko tuloy yung akin.

"Uhm... Hindi po ako nakapagpaalam.", palusot ko na lang. Saka iniiwasan ko nga si Kib tapos dito ako matutulog sa kanila?