14.

NOORIE'S POV

I threw the cover off my body then jumped out of bed, grumbling with annoyance under my hot breath. A bang, despite it muted sound, echoed through the house. I could hear it even though my room was situated at the farthest part of the house. It was a hot afternoon and I was trying to get some sleep after using those terrible pills my psychologist prescribed for me but it seemed like someone knew the perfect time to ruin such a peaceful moment. My village people, I guessed.

I stormed out of the main door, fleeing down the large compound, my squinted eyes protested at the blinding rays of sunlight. The knocking on the gate grew louder. I gnashed my teeth together, reaching for the lock. The person was disrupting the peace of the community. I might not be living in an elite community but these people still treasure their peace a lot. I struggled with the stiff lock which finally gave way. Whoever it was would hear a very good piece of my mind. I yanked the gate open.

"Noor." A figure jumped at me.

I flinched back before my eyes grew bigger than they were, recognising the person before me. "Iniobong?" I frowned, not pleased to see the uninvited guest.

"That's bad news. You just called me my full name instead of Ini but anyways, oh my God!" Iniobong shrieked, flinging her arms around me. "I have missed you." She squeezed my rigid body. "Look at you!" She held me at arms' length, her eyes roaming over my thin frame. A frown wrinkled her forehead. "What's wrong with you? Are you sick?"

I took her arms away from my body. "What are you doing here, Ini?" My stance was such that it blocked her from moving any further into the compound.

Her lips became firm from her disapproval of my cold attitude. I tried not to snarl. When will she understand that I do not want to see or be friends with anyone at the moment? I need space! A very big one! And I had made it known by putting my phone away and pushing people out of my life.

"Is that a way to greet someone you have not seen in a while?"

"What if I say I do not want to see you?"

"Noor." She whined, hurt at my snide remark. "I have been calling you but your line has not been going through."

"I switched off my phone. It has been inactive for months."

"What's wrong? Did I do something wrong?" She fastened her hands together.

"No." My hand came to rest on my waist. "I just need some space."

"You are acting cold."

"Can you please leave, Ini?" I sighed.

"No! I am not leaving." She planted her feet hard on the interlocked ground.

"Then I will throw you out!"

"We both know you can't do that." Her eyes went wide with disbelief and bewilderment that I had actually said that.

"Try me?" I dared.

"I don't like this new you." She pouted.

"Then leave." I started to close the gate.

"Noorie!" She stomped her hand on the gate. "Wait! I know you lost your mother and I do not know how it feels but I am still your friend. I won't judge you for grieving over her death. It is your right. It is what anyone who loved their mother so much like you do would do." She looked down at her feet.

"I just care about you. The past few months, I have been so worried. Everyone I reached out to knew nothing about you and I do not have your family's number except your mum's....." She trailed off. Her eyes flickered at my stoic face before she looked away. "Please, don't shut me out. I am still your friend."