Title 16: Capitulate

~Published June 12, 2017~

The sky was a dull grey, it was dreary, and crisp. I hugged my heavy sweater closer around my body with a box of fresh donuts in hand. I couldn't believe Fall was around the corner. The Fall is something that I appreciate. It's the season where I feel more like myself. Some people find the cold to be bitter and rough, maybe that's why I compare myself to it? Looking ahead the Gallagher house was coming into view. The way things were left last night between Ian and I was well...deficient. Once I saw Mickey walk into his bedroom I knew it was over. The look Ian gave me when Mickey embraced him was filled with remorse. What Ian and I felt when we finally gave ourselves to each other that night was no mistake. To me it was the best night of my life. He isn't just my best friend but he is my first love. A love like that is something not meant to be forgotten. I am a very patient woman once he is ready he will make his decision and like always I will be here. 

I made my way up the backstairs and a loud bang caused my hesitation to enter the house. A loud screamed ringed from within the house. Realizing that the scream belonged to Fiona I gripped the knob within my hand pushing the door open. Everything from there became a blur. A sharp pain shot up and down my arm once I felt something hard collide with my shoulder causing the box of donuts in my hand to go crashing towards the floor. The shock and pain caused me to slump against the floor as I held my injured shoulder. My vision was a bit spotted but in seconds it cleared up revealing a stunned Ian holding the killing bat up above his head. 

"Did you just hit me with the killing bat?" I asked not really accepting what just happened. A pair of hands gripped me from under my arms which caused the pain to return and I let out a soft cry of pain. 

"Fuck I'm sorry." Mickey spoke up from behind me. He was helping me up as he semi-carried me to the nearest chair by the kitchen table. 

I looked over and saw Debbie picking up the donuts and then tossing them onto the table, "I think there is a bag of frozen peas?"

Fiona crouched down in front of me as she started to take my sweater off, "How bad does it hurt?" 

I was still in some shock that Ian hit me with the freaking bat. Everyone looked worried, shocked, and just didn't know what to say. 

"Here are the peas." Debbie walked back over to us and handed them to Fiona. 

"Thanks Debs," Fiona took the bag as she pulled my arm out from under my shirt, "Shit it's bruising already and I'm sure there is slight swelling."

I felt awkward with half my bra exposed to everyone in the kitchen, "I'm fine." I tried to pull my shirt back down but Fiona wasn't having it.

"No you are not fine that was a very hard hit." Mickey intervened. 

I looked up at him giving him a look to drop it. My eyes scanned over to Ian who was still shocked but now the bat was hanging loosely besides his body. He looked utterly miserable and I tried giving him a comforting smile letting him know that I am fine. 

"Fuck look!" Mickey yelled as he pulled the back door fully opened so Ian could see, "There is nobody out there, look!" He then snatched the bat from his hand and tossed it on the ground, "Get over here." He took Ian's hand in his as he walked him over to the front door and repeated his actions.

I looked back down at Fiona who was applying the cold peas to my shoulder, "You know he didn't mean it?"

I nodded as I took the peas from her and stood up, "I know."

Fiona let out a sigh as she walked over towards her brother, "Ian it's only going to get worse." 

Ian was still speechless as he had his hands behind his head trying to catch his breath. He looked cautiously at everyone and you can see he was sincerely sorry. He looked over at me and then at my shoulder, "Jo I am so sorry." He walked over as he took me in a tight hug.