The Hyenas' New Plan

Kupotea cleared over the rocks, the hard surface scraping against his paw pads. Sniffing the air, he quickly swiveled his head back.

Nobody was there. Hanging his head low he scolded himself internally.

Look at you. You're as paranoid as a newborn!

Shaking his head he looked up to the sky to collect his bearings. He was going the right way, north.

Kupotea darted through the grasses. The stars above him painted his surroundings in a silver essence. There was not much time left. The Outlands would be making their move soon. If they succeed in their plan, the entire Pride Lands would become a barren wasteland again, but it wouldn't be repaired this time.

He caught a whiff of a familiar scent, his hackles rising and paws stopping him immediately.

"I thought you went out and left us", A sinister smile gleamed in the moonlight.

"I'm not here for you, Changamoto. You know that when he gets here.... He'll bearing nothing but chaos and destruction", Kupo growled turning around to face the hyena.

"Mmhmm", Changa chuckled to herself as she began to slowly tread a wide circle around Kupotea. "Let me tell you a story that all Outlanders are taught when they are young--"

"If you're trying to push your 'glorious' Scar upon me. Heh. It won't work", Kupo sniffed, not taking his eyes off of her.

"Yes, yes. I'll spare you the details. Except details us what I'm here to explain. You remember those three little hyenas that started it all? The ones who followed Scar first?", Changa smiled, taking a few steps closer.

"Yes. The three that started it all. Shenzi, Banzai and Ed. Why does that matter? They're gone", Kupotea huffed, taking a step away from her. He didn't know what kind of game she was playing, but he wasn't in the mood. What they were is over.

"Yes, but they left a little something behind", Changa sighed, sitting on the soft grass below them.

Kupo stared at the spotted hyena, eventually putting two and two together.

"You're their daughter?", Kupo asked.

"Shenzi's daughter", Changamoto corrected.

"Well, yeah. But who's your father?", Kupo sniffed, now interested.

"You need not worry about that", she giggled.

The jackal just rolled his eyes and started to walk away.

"Look, the only reason I'm here now is to tell you this: Get out! If you know what's coming then why are still here? Find somewhere they can't find you", she warned, walking beside him.

Kupo just kept his eyes forward as if she wasn't there.

"And on top of that when the invasion begins, they'll turn on you", Changa pleaded, her voice actually pitched in worry.

"Changamoto", Kupo sighed, not looking back at her. He stopped walking and looked up at the stars. "Remember when we promised that we would run away together. We were gonna come here. To the Pride Lands. We promised each other that we would live together against the world that we knew. What happened Changy? I thought you cared about me"

"I know. But when I met that lion, he convinced me that there was another way. And I believed him. I still do. Now I relay orders from him to Janja. I missed you. I actually cried when I heard you deserted us. Dogo said he was gonna kill you if the Lion Guard hadn't shown up....", Changa whimpered.

" You really believe that this is going to make everything better?", Kupotea sighed, still looking at the night sky.

" Yes, for our kind. Along with the jackals as well.... Ever since Scar was dethroned future generations of hyena and jackals are forced to live the punishment of beings past", Changa growled.

"Starvation, plague, no water. They have everything... And we have to die because of the stupid things our parents and grandparents did. And the lions will not come to our aid. As far as they are concerned we are all thieves and killers. The only choice we have left is to invade and see King Simba ourselves", Changamoto explained.

"I'm sorry, Changy. I'm staying here. I'm going to help the Pride Landers. And when the day of the invasion comes.... Know that I won't attack you because.... I... still love you", Kupotea confessed, turning back to face her.... But she was gone.

*In the Outlands*

"Where is she?", Janja growled, pacing back and forth.

"I-I'm sure she'll be here in a minute", Cheezi stammered. As Janja's burned onto him, he cowered beside Chungu.

"Well, I don't have a minute!", Janja jumped from the rock he was pacing on. The cave slowly filled with the rest of the hyena clan. Changamoto said she had something to discuss with them all, but no one's seen a trace of her.

Janja stalked out of the cave, fuming. His ears twitched as he heard a familiar skitter of claws against stone.

"Janja, I'm here!", Changa panted.

"What took you?! We're all waiting for this 'special message' of yours. So what is it?", Janja demanded, his patience completely worn out.

"He's here, Janja. He's finally come", Changa stammered.

"Wait... What?! Already? But the invasion's not for another moon", Janja shook his head.

"Well, he said he has other plans", Changamoto smiled.

"What are you talking about?", Janja growled.

"Look, Janja. We both agreed this messaging back and forth isn't going to work. We have the support of the buzzards and the jackals. He says the time is now", Changamoto countered.

"You know, you've been saying 'he says' a whole bunch, but you never explained who 'he' is", Janja shook his head.

He looked to Changa, but she simply motioned for him to step into the cave. It annoyed him that he had no control over the situation anymore.