Chapter Nineteen

Devon and Julia watch as Jaxon slips away. Their cries echo throughout the building. Blood covers the floor and walls, most from the president and his family. Death coats the air like a fog. The pain emanating from the only two alive in the room is tangible.

"Jaxon..." Devon sobs. "Please come back. Don't leave me."

"I'm so sorry, Jaxon," Julia cries. "It's all my fault." Guilt and grief swirl together, creating a dangerous mixture. Jaxon Cooke's life is over and he leaves a lot of broken hearts behind.

Devon and Julia don't want to believe Jason's gone. They won't give up. Their love and loyalty to Jaxon are greater than most. It astounds anyone who comes into contact with them.

Just like they promised, they find Lis. However, she had starved to death only days before. There is no end to the devastation wrought by the ministry. They may all be dead, but the impact of their rule leaves scars on those who are left.

Their reign of destruction may be over, but the damage has been done. So many souls are gone, simply because the ministry deemed it so. The real terrorists were the ministry itself.

No one knows why they did what they did. No one knows if they planned to do those things from the start, or if they simply got drunk on the power. Power slowly corrupts over time. Maybe they did plan it, who knows?

Months later, by some miracle, Jaxon is alive. The relief is instant and palpable. However, there is one problem. He's not waking up. Jaxon is in a coma. Even Julia, the best doctor there is, doesn't know if he'll wake up.

Nobody knows how he survived. And no one knows why he's in a coma. All they know is: he's alive. There is still hope. That's all that matters now.

Devon hasn't left Jaxon's side since he heard the news. He talks to Jaxon frequently, asking him to wake up or to complain about something. Sometimes, Devon just tells Jaxon he loves him.

Devon was right, their love for each other keeps them alive. As long as their love is alive, so are they, he believes. They're mortal, of course, but some force wants them both alive. Some power is showing mercy on them.