n i n e t y e i g h t

$ n i n e t y e i g h t $

Baekhyun found Sehun first and informed him of the delivery Onew wanted him to make. Sehun had left the house in a hurry, hoping to get his assignment over with quickly. He didn't want to leave Darleen in the house by herself. The other members didn't know her too well, and she didn't know the truth about him. He had been planning to tell her after taking her to the mall for some new clothes, since at the convent all she mostly wore was her nun habit.

He returned within three hours and went straight to her bedroom. It was the room that had been given to him by the Jackals, but he had surrendered it to Darleen in an attempt to make her comfortable. He had instead slept with the younger Pack in one of the bigger bedrooms. He had taken Taeyong's bed while the young pack's beta and alpha were out patrolling the streets. It was around four in the morning when Taeyong shook him awake, thinking him to be one of his friends in the dark, trying to prank him.

Sehun sleepily apologized and climbed out of bed, crawling to the next available one. Doyoung had just gone out to patrol the streets as the two other boys were returning.

He entered her bedroom to find her sitting on the bed with her knees to her chest. She looked up when she saw him, quickly jumping off the bed and racing to his side. "Tell me its not true, Sehunnie. Tell me you're not a criminal." Her voice cracked and her words made his heart drop.

There was silence between them for a moment before he replied to her. "If I told you that I wasn't...then I'd be lying."

She gasped, backing away from him.

"But that doesn't change the fact that I really like you, and I want you to be happy here with me." He said, taking a step towards her, his hand carefully reaching out to her. When she backed away again, he frowned. He stopped in his attempt to approach her and gestured to himself. "Baby, this is who I am, and I can't change that now. Please don't shut me out of your life."

Darleen shook her head frantically, in that moment making another rash decision. "I have to go back to the convent, and hope they'll forgive what I did. Katherine was right." She now muttered to herself as she grabbed her belongings. "This was God testing me. He wanted to see if my faith was strong and I failed him. Maybe there's still time for me to get ordained and be sent away to Argentina. Its for the best..."

"Baby, don't go." He pleaded, just about ready to get down on his knees if he had to.

"You hid your real self from me, Sehun." She accused, eyes brimming with tears. More than the fact that he was a criminal, she had been more hurt by the fact that he lied to her about it. "And that injury," She gestured to his shoulder. "I bet that story about you falling was a lie. I saw the bullet wound in your shoulder."

"Okay," He sighed in defeat. "But what was I supposed to say?"

"The truth?" She suggested.

"Yeah." Sehun scoffed bitterly. "I'm a criminal. Will you go out with me?"

He could have easily done that, or even done something more drastic. He could have easily forced her into being with him, with threats or even violence. But he didn't want to do that. He wanted her to be by his side on her own will. He had a gun, he knew fighting techniques. But he knew that forcing her to be with him would not give him her love. He needed to earn it.

"Please take me back to the convent." She said slowly.

"If you would just calm down, we can talk about this." He refused, trying to keep his calm. "If you still feel like returning to your convent tonight, I'll get you there myself."

-

Baekhyun had been spending most of his time with Minho and Junmyeon at the night club. Though around them, he always felt a bit left out. Minho and Junmyeon were great friends, while Minho mostly communicated with Baekhyun out of obligation. They were not nearly as close as being friends, but they didn't hate each other. They weren't enemies either. On that day, Baekhyun had asked for a day off from the business, staying home instead.

Chanyeol had just gotten in from his turn patrolling when he ran into the alpha.

"Hey alpha," He greeted with a bow of his head.

Baekhyun scoffed as a smile formed on his lips. "Come on, Chanyeol. I thought you of all people would disregard the alpha title when it came to me."

The beta gave a shrug of his shoulders. "You've been really bitchy lately, since right before you became the leader of our pack. I wasn't sure if you'd want to be called alpha by me too, your highness." The taller boy teased, sticking his tongue out at Baekhyun. Baekhyun then responded by grabbing one of the couch cushions and chucking it at him. Chanyeol caught it and threw it back.

"Now that you mention disregarding titles, I was hoping we could talk." Chanyeol said, his expression becoming serious. Baekhyun's own smile dropped too as he waited for his friend to continue. "Why didn't you ask Miran to marry you before Kai and Joy got married? You were mad at Soo when he was the alpha because he ignored some rules of the Pack. According to our rules, the alphas have to marry first. Or did you forget that?"

"I just thought that rule was ridiculous." Baekhyun replied with a sigh.

But Chanyeol wasn't believing any of it. "You can tell me what's wrong, you know? We've always been really close. We're best friends." Chanyeol reminded, trying to encourage his friend.

It took Baekhyun a moment to open up. But when he did, the words just seemed to pour out of him. He realized that he really needed a friend to talk to. Talking with Miran was usually enough for him, but he didn't want her to think that he whined too much. He needed someone else to listen to him for a change, really listen to him, not mindlessly follow orders because he was the leader of the Pack. "I want to marry her, I really do. But I'm afraid." He looked up to see Chanyeols' reaction. His friend merely raised an eyebrow in curiosity and waited for Baekhyun to continue. "I loved Minha so much and we got married. We were gonna start a family. But that dream was short lived. I'm terrified that the same thing will happen to her, and I won't be able to protect her."

"Look Baek," Chanyeol started with a sad sigh. "What happened to Minha was really unfortunate. But that doesn't mean it'll happen to Miran. You just have to move forward and be happy. I know Minha would want that for you."

The alpha smiled at his friend gratefully, his words had done a lot to lighten the load he felt on his shoulders.

"What about you?" Baekhyun asked, wiggling his eyebrows at Chanyeol. "Have you found someone you like?"

Chanyeol only stayed silent, a small spreading across his lips.

-

one argument and one semi deep conversation between friends. one more chapter before the two part grand finale. also, im going to post an announcement next, which i hope you all will like. so please stay tuned for that.

thank you all loads for reading.

it means a lot to me.

-clary