Chapter 2

Kakashi POV

Ever since the first time I'd seen her again a month ago, her behavior threw me off. After Lady Tsunade told me that the woman I found had lost her memory, I thought it was just a scam to break into the Leaf Village and destroy it from the inside. After all, she did work with Sasuke Uchiha and his little posse of delinquents. After he tried to kill her almost a year ago, we had brought her to the Leaf Village but she ran as soon as we had our backs turned. We got to know each other but then she bolted as soon as I turned my attention away from her. Now she's back, but apparently not remembering anything. I had a very hard time believing that. But since I've seen her again a month ago, she showed no evidence that she recognized me. After all, I guess you could say we were acquainted pretty well.Maybe her not showing any recognition toward me just meant she was just really good at hiding her surprise or her emotions. Or maybe it showed that she truly did lose her memories.

In any case, I'm not showing her any mercy now. She will be treated like a suspect, exactly the way I should have treated her from the beginning.

And like a suspect she acts, when I catch her in the alley, holding Naruto up against the wall and snarling in his face like a rabid animal. Geez, not even my Summoning Ninken act like that.

Even though I'm positive I could take her in a fight, I kind of want to be proven wrong about Karin and her lost memories. Maybe she'd be able to live a normal life here, without Sasuke or any of his corrupted friends ruining that. Maybe she isn't really here for an inside job, to learn the ins and outs of the Hidden Leaf Village, then go inform Sasuke and his group of dangerous hooligans. "Karin," I snap from the entrance of the alley.

Her head whips toward me and her eyes widen. In surprise? I school my expression to indifference and wait for her to unhand Naruto. When she does, I take in a deep breath of relief. Guess she's either waiting for the right moment to act or she truly doesn't want to hurt the kid.

She snarls at me. "Happy?"

I motion to Naruto with my head to get lost and as soon as Karin steps forward, he bolts. "See ya later, Karin Sensei!" he calls, throwing a wave over his shoulder.

I want to smack my forehead in frustration. Kami, that kid really doesn't know how to disappear quietly, does he? I was trying to distract Karin by shifting her focus to me so that Naruto could just escape quietly but evidently, the kid doesn't know how to just vanish from the crime scene. I'm half-tempted to ask her what set her off but I remember what she was like the first time she was here and I know enough to let her enjoy her little bubble of privacy, even if it's just temporary.

Without turning around, she calls, "It's just Karin!"

But Naruto is already out of sight.

She makes her way to me, into the light and I'm taken aback once more by the red shine coming from her very unusual hair. "What? Came to collect your baggage?"

I just keep staring at her with a bored look on my face. My fingers itch to take my book from my back pocket and continue reading Makeout Paradise. I was up to the best part.

"Hmm." She tosses that strange long, red hair of hers over her shoulder and walks away. I follow.

After a few moments of walking in complete silence, I take out my book and start reading. However, I keep a strong and unyielding metaphorical eye on her, making sure not to lose her. But she doesn't even try to lose me. She just keeps walking on the main road, her head turning from side to side as she takes in the people selling and buying things, mothers walking down the road with their excited children.

My lips turn up into a small smile. I guess she's pretty interested in all this. Of all things that we've spoken the last time she was here, she hasn't mentioned anything about any parents. I mean, obviously, that's private information. After all, I wouldn't share what happened to my father with just anyone. Sorry, let me correct that. I wouldn't share what happened to my father with anyone.

All Karin spoke of the first time she was here was Sasuke and his betrayal. He had tried to kill her during his fight with Danzo and she was so deeply hurt by him- or so we thought. She returned to his group almost immediately after she healed up. Then appeared again half dead on our doorstep one month ago, practically a carcass on Konoha's doorstep. I wonder what happened?

But as of right now, Lady Tsunade hasn't mentioned trying to get information out of her. Assuming she remembers something and she's not telling anyone. But I hadn't seen that look of panic on her face ever since that first night.

I shudder just remembering that look in her eyes when she woke me up at three a.m., like a crazed person, her beautiful red hair sticking up, her red eyes wide with horror. Obviously, I already knew her name but the fact that she remembered her own name so quickly made me relieved. And also suspicious. What if she "remembered" other things and she wasn't disclosing anything?

Something whooshes behind me and I look up from my book but don't turn around. "Yes?"

"Lady Hokage wants to see you in her office now," the Anbu says, his voice monotone and schooled into professionalism.

"What about the girl?" I inquire.

"Leave her." Another whoosh indicates that the Anbu disappeared.

I contemplate leaving Karin without telling her anything but I know that she's one to cook up trouble so I speed up my slow amble and catch up with her. "Listen, Lady Fifth wants to see me. You'll be okay on your own?"

She tosses her head to the side and shoots me with a look that can kill. "Don't f*cking insult me," she snarls.

I snort inwardly. Classic Karin response. I disappear, leaving her to walk around the Village and explore by herself.

-----------------

Hey guys! Hope you all enjoyed chapter 2. If you did, a vote would make me super duper happy! See you all soon with Chapter 3!

 If you did, a vote would make me super duper happy! See you all soon with Chapter 3!

--dimples_qt