Chapter Thirty-One

•Cal POV•
Mare came back from her lesson with Carac with a big grin on her face.
"What's that all about?" I ask and stand from the chair I was sitting in.
"Cal, I have so much more power than you could ever dream. This could really save us against Maven," she says with hope.
"Mare, I don't think what you're doing with Carac is a good idea. I'm not so sure we can trust him," I admit.
She gives me a look. "What are you talking about? He saved our lives and is teaching me new things. He's the best ally we have right now."
"I know, but what if he has a bigger plan. Destroying Maven isn't his goal. He wants his father off the throne and is using you to get that. He's training you and let me live because he knew it was the only way for you to trust me," I reason.
She shakes her head at me. "You're wrong about him. He cares about us and wants to see you on Norta's throne."
She's too stubborn to argue with. I don't understand why she can't see what Carac is doing. He's manipulating her. Soon enough, he'll have her sitting on his throne.
"Why are you defending him? I'm your fiancé, Mare. You should be siding with me," I tell her.
"Carac is also my fiancé, remember? That's why I'm here. It's a cover to keep us alive and safe from Maven."
"So, are you choosing him? I've been there for you since the beginning and you didn't even like him when you first met him. Hell, he was lying to us for weeks about who he was and he is lying to you now. I love you and I'm not going to let him come between us."
"The way I see it, I have two choices. I can be the queen of Norta or the Lakelands. Cal, I don't want to do this to you, but it seems I have no choice. Whatever has gotten into you needs to stop. I love you too, but Carac is my friend and I won't betray him," she says and turns away from me.
"But you will betray me? You'll leave me behind and become his queen. I've given up so much for you. I would die for you a thousand times over. You're telling me that you're willing to let me go over this stupid argument? He's changing you. Why can't you see it?"
What is wrong with her? Has Carac twisted her mind so much that she loves him? No. He's not taking her from me. I will not lose her again.
"He's just like Maven. He's feeding you lies but you can't see it. I can and I'm trying to save you. Just please don't do anything you'll regret," I beg.
She stands in silence for a moment. She crosses over to me and kisses me lightly.
"I'm sorry, Cal. I wanted so badly to believe in him and honestly, I still do. I won't give up until something happens. You may be right, however. I'll keep and eye on him, I promise," she says quietly.
I sigh and wrap my arms around her. It's not really what I wanted her to say, but I'll take it. I'll deal with Carac myself.

<><><><><><>

Any thoughts on Carac? He may ruin Cal and Mare's relationship if they aren't careful, but no spoilers. There aren't many chapters left in the book so get ready for the final battle!!