Chapter 3

Dimitri pov

      It's been 5 months since I started guarding Rose. And today is her 14th birthday. I found out her birthday, is a day after mine.

       I didn't want them to, but Rose made me. They threw a small party for me. I got a card from mama and Ivan.

        I went to Roses room to get her up. " Rose" I say, knocking on her door. " Rose" I say again. " Rose! Get up!" I yell this time. " I'm up! I'm up!" She screams.

        After 10 minutes she comes out. She goes to walk to the kitchen but trips. I catch her before she hits the ground.

        I pull her back up, and she looks at me. She blushes and turns and walks off. Huh? What was that about? I shake it off and head toward the kitchen.

     Abe had several boxes of chacolate donuts brought to the house. Rose grabs several and a coke. She sits down and starts eating. When she finishes, she gets up and head back to her room.

       I watch her and go to follow her, but when she sees I'm watching her she looks down and picks up her pace. What's wrong with her? I go to follow her, but she opens her door and slams it.

       I go to open it but it's locked. " Rose open the door" I say. " No. Send Alyssa ot Makenzie" she said.

      I guess Makenzie heard because she walked up. " Go" she whispered.

   Makenzie pov

      " Rose, it's me. Open up" I say. She unlocks the door and opens it. She shuts it really quick when I get in and locks it.

      She goes back to her bed. I look around and see a notebook on the ground. I go to pick it up but Rose grabs it and hides it.

      " Rose, what's that?" I ask. " This? Nothing" she says, looking away from me. I go to get it but she yanks it away. She sits on the bed and hides it behind her.

        " Rose, what's wrong?" I ask. " Nothing." She said. " Then why didn't you let Dimitri come in" I asked. Her cheeks started getting redder.

        " No reason. I just, uh. I wanted you or Alyssa" She said. " Rose, tell me the truth. I know you're lying" I tell her. " No I'm not" she snapped back.

       She got up to go to the bathroom. I look around again and see a sketchbook open on her desk. I walk over and see someone on it. Dimitri?

      Rose walks out and sees what I'm looking at. She grabs it and closes it. She puts it in a drawer. " Rose, why'd you have a picture of Dimitri" I ask.

      " No reason" she said looking away. " Rose, you can tell me what's wrong." I said sitting down on her bed.

     " No, I can't" she said. " Rose, yes you can. Please" I ask her. Her face keeps getting redder and redder. " I, well. I like-" " she starts mumbling.

    " You like what Rose" I ask. " Ugg! I like him ok! I like him! Are you happy!" She yells. " Who?" I ask. " Dimitri. I like Dimitri" she said looking away.

          " Rose, it's ok." I told her. " I mean, look at me and Ruston." I told her. " That's different. You are the same age." She says. " Actually, he's a year and a half older" I tell her.

      I'm 21. He's 22. " And then Alyssa and Zack. They are 2 and a half years apart" I tell her. He's 23, and she's 21. " But we're 5 years apart. That's a big difference" she says.

      " Rose, trust me. It'll go away before long. If I tell you something, promise you will tell noone" I said. She nodded her head. " I used to have a crush on my mentor in school. And he was 8, no, maybe 7, anyways. He was 8 or 7 years older. It went away after awhile" I tell her.

       " What was his name" she asked.   "Kirby. Kirby Cothren."I told her. She smiled, and then she frowned again. " After how long" she asked.

        " About 2 months. And then I met Ruston. We went to the same Academy. He graduated before me, but we got assigned the same person luckily" I said.

        " Great" she said falling back into her bed. " What's wrong" I ask. " 2 months. You said 2 months. Not 5 months!" She said.

        " Rose, it may be different for you. But it will be ok." I told her. " ROSE! MAKENZIE! TIKE FOR LUNCH!" Abe screamed. Rose started laughing. We got up and left.

      Roses pov

      She makes it sound like a crush. That's not what this is. I know it's weird, but I know it isn't that. I like him. I really do.

       When I'm around him, I truly feel safe. I can be myself, a silly little 14 year old. Around everyone else, I have to be this grownup girl that's the daughter of a mobster.

      Even around most of the other guardians. I sometime can, but not all the time like with Dimitri. He's the only one that treats me like I am. Not like someone my dad wants me to be.

       He was the only one that could help me through what happened to Hope. I don't know how I know, but I just do.