Chapter 11

'I've been asked to make some photos of Busan for a magazine. Perchance you want to join me and show me some hidden places around town?' I insinuate, walking into the kitchen whilst drying my hair.

I want to spend the day with him, take his mind off the awful past he told me about. A city walk may lighten up the darkness that has loomed over him for so long.

'I don't want to get in your way. It's a job, after all.' My friend shakes his head and looks at the mug of coffee in his hands, the second serving this morning.

'Tae, please come with me. Otherwise, I could get lost.' Pouting my lips, I look at him with a silent plea in my eyes.

'Alright, I'll accompany you before you end up on the other side of town.' A wink accompanied by a little smile, introverted yet characteristic. He looks at himself and then back at me. 'Can I use your shower?'

I smile in delight. 'Yeah, sure. There are towels on the rack on the wall.'

Taehyung gets up and finishes his beverage. 'Okay, I'll be quick and then we'll get going.'

'Take your time. No need to be hasty.'

I lean in the doorway, watching his back until he enters the bathroom and shuts the door. This will do him good, just hanging with a friend. Never have I met a person that does not feel better after spending time with a loved one, be it family or companion.

I blow dry my black and blue hair in my bedroom and put a pair of sneakers on, collecting my camera and packing my purse at the same time.

When I am about to put my wallet in the bag on the dresser next to the bathroom door, I trip over the shoelaces I had forgotten to tie. Unexpectedly, I had already prepared myself to land face flat on the floor, the fall gets broken by a counterweight. Baffled I find myself facing a tanned well-trained body, arms protectively supporting me.

'You okay, Ali?' Taehyung asks, sounding shocked and a bit anxious because of the sudden contact. His timing to come back out could not have been any more perfect.

A weird feeling rises in my gut, causing me to instinctively scramble directly back to my feet and awkwardly right my slightly dishevelled top. The feeling that follows resembles disappointment. What was that just now, is the question that comes to mind.

'Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for catching me.' I bite my lip. 'Are you alright? I mean, the contact was quite abrupt.'

'It's fine, no problem,' he responds with a weird tone in his deep voice. 'I'll, uh, put some clothes on. Don't try to trip again.' He rubs the back of his neck, his cheeks getting flushed.

'You do that.' What a turn this conversation has taken. Never before we both must have felt this embarrassed. However, I am glad he caught me instead of his fear overtaking him and thus dropping me.

The image that was just a reality keeps replaying itself and haunts my thoughts. His expression, his bruised arms catching me, his trained body.

I need distraction and I need it fast.

We are childhood friends, nothing more and nothing less. I need to keep my fantasy in check and sort this out.

Perhaps it is because I have been so alone in the past, always surrounded by people but none whom I could call my comrade, that I feel so weird. His kindness has to be the cause of it, our odd friendship. I am no longer used to having someone who truly cares for me. Yes, that must be it.

What I need to realize is that his actions are those of a friend and that I merely appreciate them.

And Taehyung's behaviour can be explained by his phobia and the unforeseen touch, his uncertainty that must have gotten sparked by it. It all makes perfect sense.