Epilogue

Rain softly ticks against the window displaying the skyline of a city filled with culture but also hungry for business. A bag darkened by the water is thrown into the corner by the door to the apartment that now forms a home instead of a refurbished container in an abandoned train yard, a forlorn deep voice trying to let nothing of the true feelings felt within filter through the fake positivity as it is used to speak to a friend while the new flatmate makes a pot of black coffee.

'It's been a while since we spoke. The last time was in America, I believe, when Ali and I came to visit you.' A resigned sigh with a hint of contained worry sounds on the other side, the photographer clearly withholding a suspicion which very well might be right. 'How's life now that you've moved back to Korea? I heard you've been busy trying to make a name for yourself in the music industry.'

A smile has to be forced on full lips downturned by the whispered echos of colleagues, repeating the rumours created around foolishly made mistakes.

Misogynist.

Plagiarizer.

Failure.

A deep breath serves to steady composure just enough to not let any of the true sentiments become known upon answering. The only person who notices the lie, though, is the stoic fellow rapper handing over a steaming mug of freshly-brewed black coffee. 'It's going well.'

Or maybe not only him, after all. The former concern has gotten a graver tone, bordering on slight panic. 'What does that mean? Joon-'

But the help does not want to be talked about because the situation has to be solved by the hand of the individual who caused them. 'Tae, please believe that is the truth. Sure, it's a difficult path, but the obstacles are there for a reason and if they are not, they can still be overcome. This is the chance to do something with my life, use that English course and all that you and Alistaire have given me. Besides, Hee-Young deserves a godfather she can be proud of.'

At the mention of the little girl - with caramel hair like Tae framing the grey seas in eyes reminiscent of her mother - born two months after the beach wedding, the young father falls silent and only makes an acknowledging sound to close off the topic. It can only be hoped that the meaning of the goddaughter's name, prosperity, can do the same to a musician fallen on hard times as it did to the relationship which has endured much hardship. Nevertheless, it is not up to the child nor the parents to move the mountains hiding the horizon.

It is the duty that has to be done by the man who was once a guardian to two lost souls and now has to be there for one still ignorant of the world even though distance created by life keeps them apart while also protecting the two new trainees - Jimin and Jungkook - at the company and the best friend who is affected by malicious suspicions about sexual orientation. Odd how a factor that could mean separation means nothing in this task of being a buffer for young spirits in the prime of their lives.

Regardless, this protector refuses to let another do his bidding in this crusade.

For the cross is this novel Atlas's to bear.

It is mine.

'Alright, whatever you say. But remember we're here for you, Namjoon. You helped me when life was too difficult to deal with so let me at least try to repay the favour.' In the background on the other side sounds a soothing Irish melody and gradually declining crying. 'You're part of my- no, our family.'

Just for a moment, the mentally painted happy family portrait which has gained a melancholy tone due to a non-related relative who was never supposed to be there can be clearly regarded in the unconscious. It is a better image than those representing themselves whenever an old memory of Ilsan resurfaces, disappointment hiding in every corner and making itself known at every turn of a road that was thought to never be walked upon, tainting childhood and teenage years.