Chapter 12

Until the sun is high in the sky, announcing the midday hour, we are busy taking pictures around town. Taehyung acts as my guide and I let him lead the way, because in spite of me being here for a while already, the chances of me getting lost have never truly gone away.

A soft growling sounds very softly nearby. Confused I look at the tall guy walking besides me. 'Hungry?'

Tae's dark eyes look into mine. 'Yeah, kinda. We've been running around since the morning.' It is as if my stomach answers his. 'Looks like I'm not the only one,' he remarks with a smile.

'Let's find a place to eat, then. Anything in particular you want?'

'No, as long as we eat something I'll be happy.'

We make our way back to Jung-Dong, quite a little journey since ended up fairly far away from my apartment without us even noticing and it may be better to go home early to get some editing done. Perhaps I can teach him a couple of tips and tricks.

Taehyung stays close to me and acts somewhat as a bodyguard, whilst also keeping his distance from others as much as possible.

At some point, when we are almost at our destination, his fingers constantly gently brush against mine and awkwardly touch them, half entwining and rapidly letting go. 'Tae, what are you doing?'

Still walking, he looks at me confused. 'What do you mean? I'm not doing anything.'

'If you want to hold my hand, just do it. I don't mind.' I grab his big hand, entwining my fingers with his long slender ones.

'I wasn't-' he mumbles, not finishing the sentence but not letting go either. Instead he tightens his grip and seems content.

The image of the accident this morning suddenly flashes before my eyes, causing me to feel really awkward. Why is it still repeating in my mind?

'Alistaire, is there something wrong?' The uneasiness must have unconsciously made itself known and he notices it.

'What? No! I'm fine.'

'Then why did you flinch?' Concern graces his voice in the way it did then.

'I did not.' I look at him as if I have no idea what he is talking about, trying to sound as ignorant as possible.

'I felt your hand tremble and try to pull back.' A certain disappointment slips into his eyes, nowadays he is alright with holding hands and then I deny him to chance to demonstrate his progress.

'Taehyung, really, I'm okay.'

'You've been behaving very strangely today. Although you say all is well, I don't believe it. Ali, what is going on?'

I cannot tell him. I do not even know the answer myself, much less expect him to want to see me afterwards if I tell him what is on my mind. I am too afraid it will ruin our fragile friendship. Better to let the words remain unsaid.

Out of the corner of my eye I spot a small cafe. A fortunate opportunity to change the subject. 'Shall we eat there?'

'Ali, you still haven't-' he keeps pushing on, but I pull him along to the coffee shop and silence the rest of the sentence.

Minimalism seems to be the concept they are going for. The walls are simply white and a couple of warm-toned wooden tables with matching chairs fill the space. Here and there big pots with huge plants are placed, making it feel even more homier. The windows are looking out over the street and perfect for people watching.

'Ah, this is nice,' I say, looking around and feeling as if I am standing in somebody's living room. Tae makes an agreeing sound. 'Let's sit somewhere by the window. Maybe I can make some photos since the lighting is rather good.'