Chapter 28

The world seems to be ruled by Kronos again, because misery and terror have returned.

'I need to go. Right now.' Hastily I put the phone through which the bad news was received in my pocket and try to slip from Taehyung's hands. However, he tightens his grip and pulls me back when I step sideways.

'What's going on?' His voice has a slight tone of concern, but is mostly forceful, demanding answers for another sudden leave. Who can blame him? Either of us has developed a fear of leaving, traumatized by one another's behaviour.

I explain to him what Seohyeon told me, all the while struggling to remain as calm as possible. 'Please, he needs me.'

'I need you!' he retorts fiercely. 'Ali, when is this going to stop? When is it just going to be us?'

He has a point, because this current situation has to end one way or another. Yet, Jimin cannot be left to his own devices, not when time is of the essence.

'I- I don't know, not for certain. First let me help him and afterwards, if this will turn out the way I think it will, then perhaps we can. Until then, I really have no clue.' Something, a deeply rooted realization, tells me this is the finale, where the orange-haired boy and I finally stop poisoning each other and say our goodbyes. My presence shall fade from all it has tainted, thus rendering him and his sister able to return to their former lives. Before me, free of disasters and lies.

We can lay down our roles, remove the makeup, and be ourselves again. The curtain will fall on our stage.

Big hands cup my face, familiar lips which contain a hint of last night's soju on mine in a passionate desperation. 'Just come home tonight, babe. At least grant me that wish,' Tae whispers after pulling away. He rests his head against mine, gently caressing my skin with his thumbs.

I bite my lip. A hate turned towards myself begins to flare up, because I want to stay at the Park's until all is well again lest I return here, which will require more time than is to be had until nightfall, but also stay here and just be with him. The latter is out of the question, someone is in trouble and they need saving. 'I'll try, okay? Even so, I can't just merely talk to him and let Seohyeon do all the work. I need to be there for a wee while, till they can move on without help.'

His hands fall away, a chill cools the heated cheeks. A reluctant step backwards, permission to go. 'Fine.'

'Tae, I swear-'

He holds up his hand, a gesture asking for silence. 'No, never mind. Don't speak. No empty promises anymore. Come home as fast as you can, or whenever for that matter, if you can slip away in between.'

'Thank you.' I reach out to touch his face, but he takes another step towards the white wall behind him with an averted gaze. His hands form into fists that tremble with rage and the hurt I inflict on him by doing this. My fingers begin to shake as well, albeit due to the distress his attitude causes. Fortunately, with the greatest of efforts, I manage to retreat before it turns into a gesture of weakness, of pleading. 'I'm sorry.'

His deep chocolate brown eyes do not look up into mine. 'Go.'

'Taehyung-'

'Just go!' His gaze meets mine, the anger threatening to destroy it with the fire in it. Nevertheless, the flames die down to barely contained embers. 'Before I'll do something I'll regret.'

I only nod, because there is nothing left to say. All that is, are the words meant for another and if I speak those to him, it will only create anguish.

A message needs to be send and it has to be delivered than Hermes ever could.

***

I run down the seemingly endless stairs leading to the entrance to the building, thus losing any time more of the precious few minutes I had left anyway. Fortunately, I parked the Audi in front of the edifice so soon the engine is roaring and screeching tires race over asphalt towards the suburb Seo and Jimin have come to call home.