Chapter 22

Wordless days pass by. The screen stays black and no messages are received.

Once I woke from a terrible dream. At first, it was me who kissed her passionately as our bodies moved in harmony, but then an unknown force decided to I should become a bystander and that it was Jimin who had to claim his right to the role of being her lover. The scene changed and we found ourselves in a sunlit kitchen, a beach as white as diamonds and a clear sapphire blue sea visible through the French windows.

Alistaire's hair was tied up in a messy bun and the aroma of pancakes hung in the air. Shortly after, she turned away from the stove to greet the orange-haired guy that came walking in, who seemed to have miraculously appeared out of thin air. He smiled at the sight of her. The grin was not only simply because of her, but also due to the swollen belly carrying their child. The sunlight briefly reflected off the silver rings on their ring fingers.

Happily married, pregnant, a beautiful house by the sea. This is the life she should lead, the dream she should chase.

My worst nightmare.

She told me to wait, but I have a mind to use the key Alistaire gave me and see how she is doing. If she is holding out on me as she did in the past, refraining from the truth.

'She still hasn't texted you?' Namjoon, who is resting his head against my shoulder, looks up from the sketchbook in his hands. Ever since I first arrived a few days ago, he has been working on a new design whilst also listening to my story and replying whenever there is an opportunity to in the conversation until I leave to go back to the man who wears the title of ''father''.

For a few minutes now we have been sitting in silence, the sound of pencil on paper the sole noise in the refurbished container. In that time I have been doing nothing but waiting in desperation to hear from her, as has been the case for several countless hours.

'No. Nothing, just like before.' I shake my head. Everything that happened between us flashes before my eyes. A shared experience has to prevent her from sending word, there is no other explanation. The question is, however, which one it is.

When the most horrible of memories makes an appearance, I rapidly try to replace it with the one of our latest farewell. The tears in those grey oceans were so sorrowful I wanted to stay longer to take on the pain. Take her away from him, because he is not what she needs.

As if you are.

I can be. I promised her that, vowed to become a better man.

Even when she is your greatest sin?

That only happened once. I would never do anything to her without her consent.

Liar. I know what you will do.

You do not.

I do, but do you as well? You shall wake the monster.

No, I will not harm her as I did before.

Keep telling yourself those sweet calming lies, but know that I know what hides deep within. Underneath your skin.

'Hyung, are you alright?' Monie's deep voice cuts off the one in my mind. The curse of mental isolation is broken and I get pulled back into the real world.

'Yeah, I just need some air, I think.' The sea will calm me down with its eternal waves and soft comforting sand, where I can lay my head to rest to witness the dusky blue sky above.

'Will you be back?'

'Do I have anywhere else to go?'

A knowing smirk forms on hyung's plump lips. 'Mine was a superfluous question, apparently. I'll see you later, Tae.'