Chapter 15

Fear, rejection and superfluidity. Those terrors of the past come back the moment he walks in. Although it has been some time, the heat in my cheek rises once again. Quite a paradox, a warm spot on a body that is otherwise entirely stiff due to coldness.

Unconsciously I shrink back and try to hide behind Jimin, whose head is turned to the entrance of his sister's café, eyeing the man with brown hair and dark eyes who comes walking in.

Taehyung keeps looking at us as he approaches, his gaze weirdly softening and even becoming begging with every step he takes. That is what his eyes look like when he looks at me. The poisonous glare he sends Jimin is the complete opposite.

The orange-haired boy stands up and moves to stand in front of me like a kind of shield, stopping Tae's hand in its effort to grab mine when he is close enough to do so.

That hand, those long slender fingers. Memories of assault, him abusing me, flood my mind and make me flinch so much I stand up as well, even taking a step back.

Confusion and sadness colour the expression of the man I once called my best friend, the one I perhaps loved as more than that. The one I cannot stop thinking about.

It is true, no matter how long we have been apart for and in spite of what he did, for some kind of reason my thoughts keep wandering off to him and before I know it I am wondering how he is doing.

I still believe he is not a criminal, but he is not without risk.

That became apparent when he slapped me across the face.

'Ali, please, I just want to talk.' His tone is pleading. 'Did you get the message?'

Of course I had. I had seen the graffiti in the street close to the apartment as well as the drawing shoved under my door. The girl with two sides to her, one for the world to see and the other she keeps hidden. A resemblance of me.

His apology.

An attempt at asking for a new chance. But how many will I be able to give him if it will keep turning out like this?

'You're him, aren't you?' Jimin snarls, a dangerous shivering of barely contained anger in his balled fists. 'Look, pal, I will only say this once. Leave now and never come near Alistaire ever again. If you do, it won't be pretty.'

'You told him?' Taehyung sounds shocked. I merely nod, rendered speechless by the chill in my body.

'Was she supposed to keep this to herself? Keep it as some messed up secret between you two?' It seems Jimin has taken the task upon him of being my protector and voice.

'No, but-'

'No buts. You abused her. You are lucky she nor I has reported you to the police. She asked me not to do it, but if I see you anywhere near her in the future I just might nevertheless.'

'Jimin, please don't.' I pull on the sleeve of his shirt, afraid he means his words. I do not want to see Taehyung vanish behind bars. Despite what happened, he does not deserve that.

The guy turns to me. 'I may not have a choice. I don't want it to happen again.'

'What are you, her boyfriend? Who even are you? This is something between me and her.' Tae suddenly becomes fierce as he eyes his opponent. 'And I didn't mean to hurt her. She knows that.'

'I find that hard to believe. The way I heard it, you meant to hurt her. And no, I am not her boyfriend. Just a good friend who truly cares for her. Unlike you.'

Tae ignores his enemy and focuses his attention on me once more. 'Ali, we need to talk. One more chance, that's all I ask.'

I shake my hand, almost inaudibly whispering: 'No.'