Chapter 21

The fury coming from the truthful partner in the doorway is immediately tangible in the room. In the blink of an eye, there is a danger in the way he looks and it makes me wonder if that is what Tae meant. Yet it is Jimin we are talking about here. He would never hurt me. Though I am afraid the same cannot be said for Taehyung.

'What the hell is going on here?' the orange-haired guy roars as he stomps into the apartment, leaving the door open in his wake.

Quickly I move to stand between him and my friend - lover, whatever we are - with upheld hands as if that would be able to stop him. 'Jimin, calm down. It's not what you think.' A lie, as it is precisely what his imagination is presenting to him. However, I am reluctant to confirm his suspicions.

Of course you are. You have to keep your new role as your childhood friend's prostitute secret, don't you?

I am not his whore.

Not yet, but you want to be. Admit it. You can't deny it, for I am the voice of reason within you.

You're not. You are the devil inside that wants to destroy me. I was fine until you came.

You never were ''fine''. I have been here longer than you can remember. I am a part of you. And now I confront you with the havoc you have wrought.

Go away.

Go on, tell him. Tell him how his shallow husk of a girlfriend is longing for another.

I told you to go away!

By fighting a silent battle once again I do not notice Jimin slipping past me, raising his fist to hit Tae square in the jaw. The blow lands before any of us can prevent it from doing so. 'I warned you, asshole. I told you that the next time I saw you anywhere near her it would not end well.'

The taller of the two rubs the place where he received the punch, cocking his head mockingly to the side. A challenging grin forms on the lips that had so gently kissed mine. 'I see you stay true to your word.'

'Stop! The both of you!' I yell, panicking a hustle might break out if I do not step up. 'Jimin, please don't do this.'

'Did he hurt you?' His hands are still moulded into trembling fists, eager to come into action if I confirm the answer he is expecting.

'No, he didn't. He just-'

'Did you willingly let him kiss you?' The sadness that comes with those words makes his voice crack ever so slightly. Jimin's patience does not permit me to reply, because as soon as I open my mouth he turns towards his enemy again, speaking harshly. 'Out. Get out, you sick bastard!'

Without uttering a retort, Taehyung silently moves past us, like a ghost that has been exorcised but nevertheless will come back for revenge. I walk the last bit to the open door with him, in spite of Jimin trying to stop me. I shake off the small hand on my arm and rush after the one that my heart has been aching for ever since the return to this country.

'Why didn't you tell me?' Taehyung whispers, hurt by the secret of me living together with the guy he has no faith in.

'I'm so sorry I forgot to tell you.' I bite my lip in shame and to keep the fearful tears from starting to stream. 'I hate to see you go.' The words come out shiveringly. Then I take the key he lent earlier today from my pocket and put it in his big hands. 'Take the key. I'll text you when we can meet again.'

The moment our fingers brush past each other, a warm stream wets my cheek. Tae notices and wipes the tears away with his sleeve. 'Hey, don't cry, Ali.'

'You must hate me.' How can he not? I have a relationship and live together with a guy he completely distrusts, which must make it feels as if he is put in second place and somewhat on a leech, though I do want to do that to him.