Chapter Eleven

Chapter eleven

 From the moment Killian was hit by the boy, everything seemed to go extremely fast.

Leana could feel the ladder shaking even more dangerously than before. After a few more seconds the ladder fell backwards and she lost her balance.

She could feel herself falling backwards, taking some books with her. At realising how high up she actually was, the thought struck her that she might break her neck when she would land on the floor below.

She tightly closed her eyes, wishing fiercely that she wouldn't be harmed, even though something like that seemed impossible right now.

The fall must have lasted for only a few seconds, but to Leana it seemed to last for hours.

Right when she thought she would hit the ground with full force, her fall was broken.

Instead someone caught her and placed her on the ground. When the large books came tumbling down after her, that same person grabbed her around her waist and protected her with his own body.

Both Leana and her saviour held their breaths until the ladder hit the floor and the last books landed on the ground.

The person was still holding her when the hasty footsteps of Misses Lawrence approached them.

“My lord! What on earth has happened here!” The librarian looked around her and at realising what must have happened she said, “Leana! My dear! Are you all right?”

Right then her saviour let go of her and she was able to look Misses Lawrence in the eyes, her voice was still shaking with the shock of it all, “Yes... yes, Misses Lawrence. I'm fine thanks to,” She looked behind her and was surprised to see Killian standing there.

Her mouth fell open and she quickly swallowed before finishing what she was about to say “ I'm fine because of Killian.”

“Oh thank heavens! Now, how on earth did this happen?”

“Um, it happened because those two were chasing each other, “ Leana looked in the direction Killian was pointing to and her eyes fell on the young couple. They grabbed hold of each other and were staring at her with wide eyes.

An expression of total anger appeared on the librarian's face, “Jonathan Wilson and Emily Adams! How many times have I told you to not chase one another in this library! You see now what can happen! Leana almost got seriously hurt because of your silly games! She could have broken her neck or something!”

The girl had tears in her eyes, “We're so sorry Misses Lawrence! We didn't mean to hurt anyone!” Then she looked at Leana, “We're so sorry!”

The boy had a sad look on his face and said, “We're sorry! Are you sure you are all right?”

Leana nodded, still dazed about what had just happened, “Yes, I... I think I'm fine...”

“Are you sure you don't need me to call an ambulance or something?” Misses Taylor asked,  her voice was loaded with concern.

“No, really. I'm fine...”

“And you Killian, are you okay?” The librarian asked him.

He nodded, “Yes, don't worry about me. I'm fine as well.”

“Well, if you two are sure about it then I'll go back downstairs, for I have a few phone calls to make.” At that she shot the couple another glare.

When Misses Lawrence turned around the couple followed suit, after a few more apologies for Leana and Killian.

It was silent for a few seconds as both of them stood there, looking at one another.