Chapter 2: What it takes to be a newsie

Anna's Pov

     The feeling of my shoulder being shaken woke me from my sleep.  Scratching my eyes, I gazed over to Jack who was standing over me.  "Come on Anna time to carry the banner."  My lips went into a pout.  Carrying the banner? What does that mean

     I knew I thought out loud when Jack answered with a laugh. "It means it's time to sell papers.  Come on don't wanna be late on the first day do we?"

     Sitting up I went to my restroom and began to fix my hair and wash my face.  Slipping on my shoes I hurried down the hall and bumped right into Kloppman.  "Sorry Mr. Kloppman, I wasn't looking where I was going."

     He smiled softly. "It's okay dear, Jacks waiting for you downstairs."

     I rushed down the steps and followed Jack as he leads me down the Newsies route to The World.  Everything looked different than usual. Brighter, happier, safe( if it weren't for the Delancey and Scabbers).  A smile was plastered on my face and Jack must have noticed it. "What's got you so happy this morning?  It's only pape's"

   I shook my head and laughed."Well, Jack, you have to see it from my perspective. In one night I got a job, home, and new clothes. So for me, there's a lot to be happy about." 

     Jack just nodded and lead me around the corner where The World was and the rest of the Newsies.  "Hey, guys."  He went to the front of the line and peered through the gates as if he was looking for someone.

     A couple of the boys greeted us and gave comments on how I was going to sell papers easily cause everyone prefers guys over girls.  A question that was pondering my head for a while needed to be answered. "How much do the papers sell for?"

     Silence fell around me.  Did I say something wrong? Mush stepped up and placed a hand on my shoulder.  "You mean Jack didn't tell ya the prices?" He turned to Jack. "You really are glum and dumb ain't ya, Jack."

     The blonde haired man scratched the back of his neck.  "Ise sorta forgot."  Racetrack took off his gray hat and hit Jack across his head.  "Yah bum! You know how Oscar and Morris are.  The would've tried to charge her extra!"

     At the mention of their name my stomach dropped.  "What do you mean Oscar and Morris? They work here?"  

     Mush ruffled my hair. "Don't worry we won't let 'em mess with you.  If they try anything we'll soak 'em."  A slight smile grew on my face. 

     "Speak of the Devils!!" I spun on my heels only to see the Delancy brothers. Nope!! I tried to blend into the group but it was obvious who the new one was by my hair.  

The two brothers walked towards me and I tried to get farther back without making a scene but there were too many Newsies. Oscar stood in front of me. "Morris, look. It's that street rat, Anna. Since she is getting a job I guess we can get more every soaking!"

Jack, Race, Mush, and even Crutchie jumped in front of me as if making a barrier. A growl rose from Jack. "Lay a finger on her and will soak ya to the point you wish you were dead."

Morris just chuckled. "Whats it to ya Jack? She's just a girl." The older brother was staring down Jack. A shiver was sent down my bones when he began to chuckle. "I know why you care..... Jackie boy here has a little crush."

A crush? On me?!?! No way! We just met less than a day ago, but to be honest he is cute. "No Morris, not everything a love interest. She now part of the family and we gonna treats her like so. Like I said earlier, you lay a finger and you are as good as dead." The brothers just walked off and went to open the gates.