Chapter 1

It all had happened so quickly. One moment he was soaring through the air fulfilling his Queens wishes, to destroy the weapons that those puny Vikings built to throw rocks at dragons. That was what he always did, purpose of his existence and he never failed, until now.

He had just destroyed last of the weapons. His shriek alone made the Vikings cover in fear, shouting "Night Fury". A moment too late another sound had reached his ears, sound of something flying towards him. At that point, it had already been too late as ropes wrapped around his scales, and worse his wings. The powerful wings that were carrying him mere second earlier became useless in an instance.

He tried to struggle against the ropes, but they wouldn't give out and the ground was approaching quickly. Had he finally failed his queen.

Last thing the Night Fury knew before losing consciousness was a horrible pain in his tail. Not that there was spot in his body that didn't hurt.

Eventually he returned to consciousness, so he wasn't dead, yet. He had been knocked out for at least several hours considering how high the sun had climbed. The previous night came back to him like a flood. He had been hit by something, a weapon with weight in attached to ropes that Vikings used to trap unsuspecting dragons. Except no Viking should have been able to throw it far enough to hit him. Vikings were just weak humans after all. Did they have a new weapon? He'd have to destroy it next time they attacked the village to... to serve the queen... yes to serve their queen because...

Why was he serving her?

Suddenly he realized it. He didn't want to serve the queen or raid the villages. He did it because she forced him, invaded his mind spoke to him telling how he had to be loyal and serve his queen. He had so. All of them had.

But he couldn't hear her anymore.

No.

The moment of happiness thinking he might be free passed. He could feel her presence, but it was weak. It couldn't completely cover his mind. She was too far to extend her full strength for one dragon. Not that it mattered now. He couldn't move, bound by the ropes. Soon Vikings would probably show up to finish the job. Otherwise he would die slowly of thirst.

He laid down, ready to give up. He was half asleep when a sound, a human sound came from just few meters away. He wasn't yet completely awake, but the sound and the smell, filled his senses. Then something came down on his bound front pawn. That made the dragon stir awake sending the human stumbling back, more from surprise than strength of the movement.

Few seconds later the Viking came back closer, and the dragon could finally see him. It was unlike any other Viking he had ever seen. The creature standing next to him was smaller and obliviously weaker than any other Viking he had never seen. Even the metal weapon this puny creature was holding was smaller than anything they usually used against dragons. Even in his vulnerable state, the tiny weapon would have a hard time getting through his scales.

It all seemed strange, and after a moment dragon deduced it had to be just a hatchling. He was going to be killed by a Viking hatchling. So shameful way to die, and he still couldn't do anything about it. Even the miserable weapon and weak paws holding it would eventually penetrate deep enough in his flesh to kill and it wouldn't be quick death. He closed his eyes, when it brought the weapon ready to strike, not wanting to witness what was going to happen. He was just waiting for the pain.

It never came. The viking let out a small sound. It was hard to understand human voices, but it didn't sound threatening. He didn't get to think that when something even stranger happened. There was a repeating sound and then the ropes around his body started to loosen. Was the Viking letting him go?