Chapter 13

Hiccup dragged himself to the kill ring just in time. The others were already down in the ring but Hiccup couldn't concentrate on their training. All he could think was what would happen after it. He'd promised Toothless that they would finally fly. Honestly, Hiccup wasn't sure which one of them was more excited about the thought. Compared to that, the dragon training couldn't really hold his attention. It took a shout from Gobber and stares from everyone else to make him at least pretend interest while the one legged man walked to one of the gates holding dragons in their dens. Hiccup remembered that this one held the Terror as everyone would soon be reminded as Gobber opened small hatch in the gate.

"Meet the Terrible Terror."

"Hah, it's like the size of my..."

The dragon jumped on Tufnut's face embedding his teeth on the teen's nose. The impact knocked the Viking on the ground. For some reason, this made other trainees took several steps away. Hiccup wasn't as ignorant as Tufnut, but couldn't understand how the small dragon could cause that kind of reaction. Then again, he spent most of his time with the offspring of lightning and death itself. Hiccup couldn't help but grin thinking how other teens would react if they ever came face to face with Toothless.

"Ouch! Get it off!"

"Hold on!" Astrid shouted and started to walk back to attack the dragon.

Hiccup's face turned more serious seeing this. He knew how fierce Astrid could be, even more so with Fishlegs' recent successes in the ring. The small terror would be in serious danger. He'd have to do something.

Hiccup had to squint when the sunlight reflected from Astrid's axe straight into his face, but it gave him an idea. He stumbled to pull out his knife. It was the same one he had thrown into the pond in the cove to show Toothless he wasn't planning to attack the dragon. A few days later the Night Fury had found the blade in the water and given it back. He hadn't been worried anymore that Hiccup might use it against him.

Good thing Hiccup had cleaned and polished the blade since. It reflected the sun almost like a mirror. He needed to move the blade around a bit before he got the reflection aimed at the right direction, straight at the small dragon. The wobbling point of light hit the terror only briefly but it was enough to get the dragon's attention. He tried to swat the dot with small paw, like Toothless had done one day. Dragons might be smart but they could still be playful and easy to trick. Hiccup smiled watching the terror chase the light, but at the same time he failed to pay attention to other Vikings in and around the ring, who were starting to notice him. In moments Hiccup had led the dragon on his side of the ring. Hiccup couldn't help himself and extended his thoughts towards the little terror.

No one would have greatly enjoyed spending unknown time in a dark den, but Hiccup couldn't really find that much dark feelings in the small dragon. There was lot of crankiness of course, but Hiccup could find about equal amount of excitement, for lack of better word. Anyone would have enjoyed getting outside after such a long time in the dark. Suddenly he felt a change in the dragon and noticed it was flying towards him. Alarmed shouts came from all over the ring, but Hiccup ignored them. He wasn't sure if the terror wanted to bite him like it did to Tufnut,, or if it noticed his probing and was curious, but he was going to make the second option happen. He tried to send his thoughts and feelings to the approaching dragon as well as he could. He still couldn't actually talk to any of them from a distance. Hiccup lifted his right arm in front of himself. Other people probably thought he was trying to protect himself, but instead of biting or clawing the dragon landed on it. Terrors were small and not too heavy but it took Hiccup a second to adjust to the weight on his arm.

"Hiccup! Don't move! Let the others take it away!"

The shout brought some of Hiccup's attention away from the dragon. Gobber seemed distressed, probably thinking about the dragon teeth centimetres from his helpless apprentice's throat. He had run to the kill ring wall right below his apprentice. About a dozen Vikings from around the ring were converging on Hiccup from both sides, some with and some without weapons. He would have to do something quick so he brought his free arm to dragon's snout escorted by calming thoughts. It was easier to push out the queen's weak influence now that he had done it a couple of times. He also gently held the dragon still with his mind, in case it, he, would be startled from the action.