Chapter 15

Hiccup stepped into the dark kill ring with a smile on his face. Sure, the day hadn't started perfectly and he was expecting Stormfly to pose her own challenges, but what had happened in between was too great to allow those things to disturb him. He could finally talk with Toothless without them having to touch each other. The bond he knew they had was stronger than ever. Hiccup felt more whole and more confident than he had ever been. Perhaps the constant presence of the Night Fury's consciousness on the edge of his had something to do with it. It gave Hiccup a feeling of strength even when his own body completely lacked any and also reminded him that he wasn't alone in the world. It was a good feeling.

He decided to start with Stormfly and went to pull the lever to unlock her den. He moved to wait some distance away from the heavy doors as the Nadder pushed them open. She looked at Hiccup sharply and licked her lips. Hiccup was holding a large cod. Toothless had decided soon after their late lunch that they should also get fish for dinner and Hiccup saved some of them to bring with him to the ring. Stormfly approached him carefully. They didn't have the same trust Hiccup shared with Toothless so the boy decided to just toss the fish to Stormfly who snatched it straight from the air. She seemed to calm down a little bit after swallowing the fish but was still eyeing Hiccup carefully and refusing to come within his reach. It was understandable considering that just the previous night Hiccup had used his power to paralyze her.

The problem was that he couldn't talk with her. He could share his thoughts with Toothless even from a distance now, but Hiccup thought that was as much because of their mutual relation as it was from his increasing mental power. With Stormfly still keeping her distance, he tried concentrating as much as he could. He should at least try to reach out to the other dragon.

'Can you hear me?... Stormfly?'

The dragon kept watching him tightly, perhaps a bit questioningly. Hiccup sighed and kept up his arm, trying to get Stormfly to touch it. The dragon only stepped back glancing at the gate.

'You are wasting your time. That Nadder isn't going to trust you. They are almost as stubborn as your kind and don't really care for others than themselves.'

'Toothless, how can I do anything if I can't even talk to her?'

'You aren't going to change your mind. I'm coming there.'

'Are you sure it's good idea. I mean you...'

'You said it yourself. We can't get anywhere if you can't talk and I don't want you alone with her any longer.'

'Okay just try to stay calm. She isn't going to be happy with you here.'

'I don't care what she thinks.'

'Toothless,' Hiccup reminded sternly.

'Fine fine. I'll try to stay calm. But if she tries anything or hurts you...'

'Yes, yes you'll tear her to pieces.'

Stormfly had held her ground during Hiccup's silent chat and kept eyeing the small Viking. A few seconds after Hiccup finished taking to Toothless she lifted her head while sniffing the air. Her eyes focused on the gate that started to open. A black silhouette materialized from the darkness beyond before she could move. Hiccup could sense how hate and fear rose alongside Stormfly's suspicion as the blue dragon crouched down to more defensive position.

'Night Fury, you have really sided with Vikings.' Hiccup was surprised when he could suddenly understand Stormfly's thoughts, but then he noticed that they were actually coming to him from Toothless.