Chapter 7

The night had fallen hours ago. Island of Berk was standing on the ocean dark and quiet. Only light on the whole island came from torches that village's guards carried. There was also someone else awake on the island and he didn't mind the darkness.

Dragon, a Night fury as dark as the night itself was laying by a pond in a large cove. The dragon had coiled its wings around rest of its body. A large head was turned inwards so the beast could see whatever was within embrace of its wings.

Toothless had stayed still in that position since Hiccup had fallen asleep, and he was completely content doing so until the morning. The mere presence of the small Viking made the dragon happy, even when Hiccup was asleep. It meant he wanted to be with him, unlike most dragons that Toothless had met, and he knew Hiccup felt the same. In short time the small creature had become the centre of this dragon's live.

His ears sprang up at sounds of movement coming from near the edge of the cove. Toothless took his eyes off Hiccup to watch their surroundings. Nothing living in this forest could pose a real threat to the infamous Nigh Fury, but he was constantly on edge when it came to Hiccup's safety. The mere thought that just days ago he might have killed the small Viking, was repulsive.

After confirming that there were no immediate threats, the black dragon turned back to watch Hiccup's small form. At least he wouldn't have to worry about Hiccup getting hurt as long as the hatchling was encased within his wings. What truly worried the dragon was what would happen when he wasn't around. For the past two days Hiccup had come to the cove injured, and what if they weren't flying above water earlier when Hiccup fell from his back. He would most likely have survived the crash with some pain, but Hiccup was so very fragile.

Such protectiveness for Viking was unheard of. Such protectiveness for a Viking who had maimed you was insanity. Watching over Hiccup's sleeping form gave Toothless plenty of time to ponder his feelings of the boy, and how he turned from enemy to best friend. Obliviously the most important moment was when their minds first touched. He might have resisted the temptation and queen's orders to kill the hatchling before that, mostly out of curiosity, but when he had touched Hiccup's paw, was when everything changed.

When he started understanding Hiccup, the dragon couldn't stay mad at him even after losing his tail fin because of Hiccup. Then the hatchling pushed queen out of his mind and Toothless could tell that Hiccup's own mind had already attached to his. It kept the queen away. For any dragon to be freed like that should have been enough to protect whoever was keeping her out.

Still, despite the promises they made to each other, that wasn't why Toothless wanted to protect Hiccup. It wasn't his continued freedom, and feeding, that Toothless was worried when Hiccup was injured. He genuinely liked this Viking. They were the same in many ways and Hiccup had not shown him anything but friendship and care since they had met.

The Night Fury wasn't alone anymore.