Chapter 10

'Can you hear me now?'

Hiccup looked at the black dragon standing about dozen meters away. Toothless was hard to see even from that distance in the darkness after sundown. Dark or not Hiccup could sense his friend's presence and general feelings. Yet the dragon didn't react or answer to his thoughts.

'Toothless?'

When he still didn't get a response, Hiccup walked back to the dragon. His small hand touched black scales while two pairs of green eyes met each other. The smaller pair showed clear disappointment.

'It's still not working. Maybe we can't talk without touching each other.'

'Don't give up Hiccup. Maybe I couldn't hear what you were saying but I did feel your mind reaching to me. It will work.'

'I hope so. It would be lot easier and it's almost impossible for me to do anything to other dragons if I have to touch them first.'

'I don't want to even think about what would happen if you tried.'
Hiccup smiled at Toothless' comment until the smile was broken by a long yawn. Afterwards Hiccup "spoke" to Toothless again.

'Let's keep trying then. It's your turn bud.'

'No.'

'What do you mean?'

'It is already late. The sun went down long ago. You should go to sleep.'

'Don't worry I can still continue for a while longer.'

Hiccup tried to step back in order to return to his earlier spot, but was stopped by a large black wing that extended in front of him faster than Hiccup could react. Toothless, who had risen to stand on his back legs, used both his wings to pull Hiccup closer against his stomach and within firm hold of his forelegs. Soon the boy was completely covered in the black scale cocoon he had gotten so accustomed to during his days and nights in the cove.

'We have practiced enough for today. You should rest.'

'When did you become such a mother hen?' Hiccup asked jokingly.

'What do you mean with that?'

'Well, you are constantly worrying if I'm safe or that I drink and eat enough and now you are telling me when to go to sleep.'

'Is that bad thing to a viking?'

Hiccup turned his face up to meet its scaled counterpart. Toothless seemed curious and a bit worried. He was probably afraid he had done something bad for Hiccup. Silly dragon. The boy smiled and leaned against the warm black hide, closing his eyes in contentment at where he was.

'No, it's not... It is actually nice to know that someone cares enough to do those things. There haven't been who do so since my mother died.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toothless carefully lowered himself to lay on his side while keeping Hiccup in his protective embrace. He purred softly knowing it would help the hatchling to calm down and fall asleep. Soon he could hear Hiccup's breathing evening out and feel his conscious thoughts drifting away as the hatchling drifted to peaceful sleep. Hiccup's last words were occupying the dragon's mind. Toothless already knew Hiccup had been lonely but couldn't help being stung in his heart when he was reminded of this. He knew what it was like and hated that Hiccup had to suffer the same. The gentle frail thing held in his claws deserved the best the world had to offer.