Chapter 28 Final

Hiccup's shout echoed across the ring. In the silence following it, it was easy to hear creaking and squeaking from the complex mechanisms holding the dragons trapped. All of the logs acting as barricades started rising as Fishlegs used their master controls behind the ring. Several people started running to stop him, but it was too late. One by one, the gates were pushed open from inside: Meatlug, Barf and Belch, Sharpshot and Finally Hookfang all stepped out. Most of them did at least. Sharpshot flew out at full speed. The other teens backed up, far past Hiccup, in a defensive formation, quidded by Gobber towards the exit. Hiccup, without hesitation, stepped past them, walking directly to the group of dragons, Stormfly following closely by his side.

Sharpshot reached Hiccup first. The dragon landed on his extended arm and then moved to stand on his right shoulder. The rest of the group gathered in front of Hiccup. Hookfang pressed his head on the ground in a kind of draconic bow. Hiccup kneeled to briefly place his hand on Hookfang's snout. They got up together and Hiccup turned around, facing his peers with the entire group of dragons behind him.

"Great trick, right?"

There was no answer. Stoick and several others had dropped to the ring and were gathering in front of the teens. Weapons were drawn but not ready to strike. Everyone was taken aback by the sight in front of them. Stoick was first one to get his voice back.

"Hiccup... what is this?"

"I told you; it's the truth," Hiccup responded. "We have fought against dragons for 300 years, but no one ever tried to really learn about or understand them. I did. I've been coming here almost every night for weeks to see these dragons," Hiccup petted Sharpshot's head while he was talking. For Vikings that alone must have been unbelievable.

"You aren't serious! How could you even survive facing them alone?"

"I'm dead serious, and I know you don't have much faith in me, but isn't it little too late to question if I would survive meeting a dragon? I mean..." Hiccup spread his arms, gesturing to the dragons behind him.

"I see," One of the villagers commented. "He has found some way to control the beasts!" Hiccup could literally see how the realization spread among the people.

"Is that even possible?"

"No way!"

"What other explanation could there be? That's Hiccup standing in front of a Nightmare, alive!"

"Is that true?" Everyone quieted as Stoick began talking. "Can you control them?"

"No! Well... actually, yes, I could if I wanted to..."

"That's great! You must teach it to entire village! Everyone, my son has a new weapon to use against the beasts!"

Hiccup tried to correct his father, but Vikings weren't known for being quiet when they were excited about something. Hiccup couldn't even enjoy the fact that most shouts were actually cheering for him.

'What did you say to them Viking?' Stormfly demanded. Hookfang let out a low growl behind them.

'How disrespectful.'

'I don't really mind," Hiccup assured Hookfang before actually answering Stormfly's question. "They think you aren't attacking because I'm controlling you."

'They aren't completely wrong...'

'Stormfly, you were threatening us and trying to make Toothless lose control,' Hiccup answered, facing the dragon directly. 'Also, being able to do something and doing it are two different things.'