Chapter 14

Toothless could feel his hatchling approaching even before Hiccup's scent reached his nose. He could tell even from that distance that something had happened. Hiccup was alarmed and moving faster than usual. Toothless couldn't sense any pain, but he was still up in an instant and moved to wait next to the rocks between which Hiccup entered the cove. It only took a moment for the sound of light footsteps to reach his sensitive ears. Soon Hiccup stumbled into the cove, but he was caught by Toothless' head.

'Thank you bud,' Hiccup said while lifting himself up. He kept one soft hand on Toothless' head

'Did you think I would let you fall? What happened?'

'What do you...' Hiccup stopped mid-thought as he remembered that he couldn't hide things from Toothless, not with the bond between them. 'I tried to tell the truth about dragons to some people but only managed to get them to hate me more.' Hiccup showed his memories to Toothless. 'Astrid chased me to the forest. It took some time to shake her off.'

'She didn't manage to hurt you?' Toothless asked and let out a low growl after hearing about Astrid. sniffing around Hiccup to make sure there were no injuries. Hiccup had told him about Astrid few times. If that female ever came within range of his claws...

'No. I may not be strong or a good fighter but at least I can run and no one knows this forest as well as I do. Don't worry. We have more important things to think about, remember?'

Yes, Toothless did remember. His tail started wiggling from the mere thought that he would fly again. He also wouldn't be doing it alone anymore. The thought consumed Toothless until Hiccup's small hand returned on his head.

'Calm down bud. We can't fly till I put on your gear, and I can't do anything if you don't stay still.'

Toothless practically froze still for a moment after Hiccup's request, and then he brought his tail forward so the boy could attach the artificial tailfin. Toothless was still amazed that the small viking, his small viking, could just create something like that. After he had lost his original tailfin, Toothless had resigned himself to being grounded for the rest of his life, which he hadn't expected to last long anyway. Then Hiccup had thought of the impossible and made it reality. The dragon couldn't understand how other Vikings couldn't see how amazing he was.

Toothless crooned when Hiccup finished tightening the saddle, and brushed his head affectionately against the hatchling. In return he got a few scratches before Hiccup climbed on the saddle. Toothless kneeled a bit, only waiting for Hiccup to strap himself in and open the tailfin. His entire body shivered in anticipation. Hiccup didn't need to ask if he was ready. The moment his foot switched the position of the pedal, Toothless leaped into air. He could tell Hiccup was struggling to stay on with the sudden movement but managed until they levelled to more gradual ascent above the trees.

'Wow bud. You can really fly.'

'What did you expect? I'm a Night Fury, not a Gronckle.'

'Yes, I know. You are the fastest of all dragons and the most feared. Our Dragon manual's instructions for Vikings meeting you is to hide and pray that you don't find them.' Hiccup's mood was lot lighter than just moments ago. He clearly enjoyed the flight.

'I think I like that description. At least it is better than being just hated.'

'Let's not worry about that now and concentrate on flying.'

'Sure. Let me get some altitude. It is safer, if we have time to stop falls.'

'I'll trust you on this.'