Chapter 20

Toothless was waking up, slowly at first, but then his eyes flew open, realizing he wasn't supposed to sleep yet. If you could call that sleep. Toothless felt strange, but could still remember such fear and helplessness that were a rare experience to the powerful Night Fury; sadness and hidden resentment. His eyes focused on the brown mess of fur that grew on top his hatchling's head. Hiccup didn't move, but Toothless could tell he was awake. His hatchling's thoughts were a mix of enjoying the warmth of scales and darker memories of the previous day. Toothless brushed his snout against Hiccup's head.

'Are you okay?'

'I guess.'

'It's already morning,' Toothless stated turning his head to look outside the cocoon of his wings. 'Usually you have already left to the village at this time.'

Toothless could sense Hiccup's thoughts darken before he even finished the thought.

'Hiccup?'

'I don't want to go there. People are probably happier when I'm not around, and Gobber will just make me talk about others' training and then they come after me for it again. Might come anyway. I think yesterday might have been the worst they've ever done to me. I'm afraid of what they might do next...'

'You can stay here as long as you want. No one can hurt you under these wings.'

'I know,' Hiccup breathed in deeply. 'It helped me get up yesterday. If I was alone like before... I don't know. I definitely didn't want to follow them back to the village.'

Hiccup's thoughts were sad, but Toothless could sense still something darker deep under them.

'Hiccup, what would you have done?'

'Probably nothing.'

'Hiccup, you shouldn't keep our minds together if you want to hide things.'

'No.' Toothless could feel the tug when Hiccup held their thoughts closer together. 'It's just, sometimes I wonder why I kept going back. Maybe things would be better for everyone without me. There have been times when I was standing on a cliff and...'

'I know what you mean. Without the queen's control, I might have done so myself.'

'Really? But you are so strong! You can defend yourself if someone wanted to attack you.'

'Hiccup, are these attacks the only reason you feel like you do?'

'No,' the hatchling admitted after a moment.

'Did anyone stop you when... when you were on the cliff?'

'No. I was just too afraid to do it.'

'Afraid, or strong?'

Hiccup actually chuckled at Toothless' suggestion. The dragon didn't like that.

'You've got the wrong person for that speech. I'm probably weakest Viking Berk has ever seen.'

'I'm not talking about your body. I had to continue serving the queen, but you had the strength of will to keep going on your own.'

'You think so?'

'I'm sure.'

...

'Thank you. I'm sorry I tried to hide... this from you.'

'Hiccup, you didn't hide anything. You already told me earlier.'