Chapter 2

Wasn't it enough that he crashed and almost got killed by Viking hatchling. He had also lost his tailfin and that made him crash again when he tried to leave. The difference was that this time he crashed in a deep cove. The steep cliffs that formed the walls of said cove were too high to jump over and too steep to climb. He had tried, and still did.

At least the queen's voice had been quieter than before. Why bother with a maimed and trapped dragon that would soon die anyway.

Still he wasn't about to die of starvation in that cove, and bounced up again for another try to get out of there. His wings were flapping madly while his sharp claws were ripping pieces of rock out of the cliffside. The effort proved as useless as the previous ten times. At least he managed to turn around before hitting the ground. The following attempts weren't any better. Actually they were worse. After crashing on his side again he expressed his feelings for that with a plasma blast that left one more dark spot on the crass. Without the tail fin he just couldn't control the flight.

He had a drink from a small pond that covered half of the cove, but food was more of a problem. Dragons could eat lot at once and then go day or two without eating, but it was already two days since his last meal.

Disappointed the black dragon lied down onto the crass. Maybe if he rested he could gather enough strength to get out of this place. The peace lasted for only a moment. Something fell on the rocks on the other side of the cove. Small sound easily heard in the otherwise silent place.

Above the point where the unknown object had landed, there was something on the edge on the cliff, the same Viking hatchling as before. Had it come to finish him after all. It could have just gone back to the Viking nest to get bigger Vikings to do the deed and they could charge him at any moment.

Then again, why would it? It already had him at its mercy previous day. Why would it first free him, and then wait a day to bring others to kill him. It didn't look threatening or angry to his sharp eyes while standing on the cliff on all four of its limbs instead of normal two. As far as he could understand it looked bit startled for being seen, but there was also something else on the small creature's face, something non-threatening.

He wasn't a Viking expert but was still fairly certain that the small creature hadn't come to kill him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiccup wasn't certain what to think of the odd meeting. Earlier on the day he had wandered into the forest. He was just trying to stay out of sight and avoid his bullies, but couldn't ignore what Gobber had said in the end of dragon training, "A dragon will always... always go for the kill".

So why didn't the Night Fury?

Honestly, Hiccup hadn't expected to find said dragon, still on the island and not very far from the point where it had crashed. He laid down on the ground trying to be as invisible as he could. He had just run into the most dangerous, most reclusive dragon that vikings knew for second time in two days.

Being Hiccup he still couldn't resist his curiosity and crawled to the edge to see the dragon below. His first instinct was to pull out his notebook and pen to draw the dragon that no one had seen before. Being Hiccup he of course also managed to drop the pen. Its ears stood up and in seconds the dragon was looking straight at him.

Strangely Hiccup didn't feel scared, after the first shock. It wasn't just because the dragon was trapped below him, since it could easily have blasted him from that distance. Night fury never misses.

Hiccup also got strange feeling that the dragon felt much the same, although he could barely see it's expression, mostly the large green eyes. He had no experience of reading dragons' expressions, why would he they were supposed to be mindless beasts. At least that was, what he had always been taught. Still, Hiccup could swear he saw emotion, even intelligence on the dragon's face.