Chapter 8

Hiccup was pulled to the edge of consciousness by something nudging against his head and a cold breeze that replaced the cozy warmth he had enjoyed the whole night. No wonder he slept better than perhaps ever before. So much so that he didn't want to wake up now. When the persistent nudging didn't stop, the boy tried to half-consciously lift one hand to protect his head. It seemed to work for a second. Then a large wet tongue covered both his arm and head with saliva.

That did the job and Hiccup bounced up, or would have done so if his upper body had not been pinned between thick black scaled legs. Remembering where he was, Hiccup calmed down. He removed the worst of the saliva from his face using the remaining dry hand so he could see properly. Turning his head, he saw the grinning face of the culprit.

'Toothless, was that really necessary?'

'I promised to wake you up, but you didn't wake up when I tried to do it. I didn't hurt you, right?' Hiccup could actually feel real worry behind the question.

'By licking me? Of course not. It just startled me... Can you let go of me. I can't get up with your leg in the way.'

Toothless did as asked and Hiccup got out from under his open wing. Toothless spun around back to his feet and walked to Hiccup's side. For the first time since getting slobbered, Hiccup took his eyes away from the dragon and looked up. The cove wasn't yet getting any direct sunlight, but the colour of the sky was turning from black to lighter blue. He would still have time to sneak back into the village and get to the ring in time.

First, he would have to get rid of the dragon saliva. That could raise questions if anyone noticed. Hiccup kneeled by the pond to wash his hair in the water. Both air and water were cold this early in the morning, but it had to be done. Hiccup was about to leave after getting the worst off, when he noticed his own reflection on the water's surface. It didn't look as bad as he expected. There was a faint line above his left eye, where Snotlout's beating had caused a small wound, and there was a small colour change on his cheek, but nothing worse. Hiccup knew from experience that those remaining "injuries" were too little considering the beating he got less than a day earlier. Hiccup hadn't even remembered them for most of the time he had spent in the cove. He glanced at the reptile who was now sipping water next to him. It wasn't hard for the boy to figure out the explanation for his missing bruises.

When Hiccup kept his attention on Toothless, he started noticing the dragon's feelings, and didn't need to see the large yawn to realize there was a problem.

'Toothless', the dragon came closer so Hiccup could put his hand on his head, 'did you stay awake the whole night?'

'Yes.'

'When did you sleep the last time?'

'When the sun was high yesterday.'

'You shouldn't tire yourself.'

'I'll sleep after you go.'

'Then I should go. Sleep well', Hiccup scratched Toothless behind the ear affectionately before turning and jogging away. On the way, he picked the saddle and tail fin where he had left them the previous night.

Hiccup returned with them and a new leather belt in the late afternoon. This time he had managed to not get beaten by other teens. Toothless almost purred after finishing his inspection of without finding new injuries. The basket of fish Hiccup brought didn't do anything to hurt his spirits either. After that Hiccup explained his plan while putting the saddle on Toothless.

'I added a safety strap and tied the control rope on my leg so I can hold on and won't fall off so easily. I hope that it helps us to stay airborne.'