Part Eight

"Yeah yeah bull shit! I call bullshit Chase!" I yell at my ex boyfriend who had followed me to the park. He had cheated on me, i broke up with him, and now he is crawling back to me.

     "But i still love you!" He yells hurrying after me as i quicken my pace. I flip him off over my shoulder and turn out of the park and down the sidewalk. He catches up to me and pushed me into an alley. I am about to scream when his large hand covers my mouth.

     "You listen to me. We can do this the easy way or not. Get back with me or i sware you will be sorry." His face is just centimeters from mine. I feel a cold, sharp object press onto the skin at the bottem of my shirt. The blade cuts into my side slightly and I feel the hot blood spill out. My mind is reeling and I feel my hyperventilation begin to start when Chase is pushed away from me and onto the ground. I look up and see Luke, beating the absolute shit out of Chase. Lukes on top of him wrestling the knife out of his hand. He slams Chase's nose with a punch only to be socked in the jaw. 

    "Oh my god! Help somebody help!" I scream, my voice cracking. I look up the sidewalk and hear running feet behind me. I whirl around and  I am pushed aside by someone. I see Michael and Calum go in for Luke and Chase. Ashton pulls me into his arms for a calming hug as I sob. Luke and Chase are pulled apart and Michael delivers a staggering blow to Chase's stomach. Chase drops to the ground and spits out blood.

     "Dont you ever mess with Raegan or Luke. Or next time you will be worse." Calum basically spits his words out with so much force everyone cringes. Chase staggers away and i am still sobbing into Ashton's chest. I look over to see Luke kneeling on the ground trying to catch his breath and holding his stomach. Michael and Calum hoist him up and we all see how bad the damage is. Luke has a major bruise on his jaw, and his neck. His nose and knuckles are bloody and bruised. He looks up at me, the pain is evident in his eyes. 

     "Oh Luke." I say, barely above a whisper. I pull away from Ashton and hug Luke. 

     "You saved me." I say as i begin to cry again. All of a sudden I feel Lukes legs give out and he collapses into my arms. I can barely hold him up. Ashton and Calum grab him. Calum picks him up and turns to me with a worried look in his eyes.

     "Raegan, hes out cold, where is the nearest hospitol." 

     "Not close enough." I say, whipping out my phone and dialing 911.

     "Help. My friend- he- he saved me..." I cant even finnish my sentence. Michael grabs my phone from me as i sink down and sit on the curb bawling again. I look up to see Calum still holding an unconscience Luke. About 5 minutes later, an ambulence arrives. Calum and Michael get in with him. Ashton drives me to the hospitol behind them. We arrive a few minutes after them. We walk in to see Michael and Calum sitting in chairs outside the emergency examination room. I sit next to Calum who puts his arm around me. I lean against his shoulder and wait. And Wait. And wait.

     "How fucking long does this take?" Michael finally says. He heaves himself out of his chair and is about to ask the receptionist person what the hell is going on when the doctor comes out of Luke's room.

    "Whats going on?" Ashton says to the doctor.

     "He has a concusion. No playing sports or running for a week. Just rest. We are keeping him over night for observation. He is just waking up now. No one is allowed in unless they are family. What is your relationship to this young man?" 

     "We umm.." Ashton stutters over his words.

     "We are his foster family!" Calum says. The doctor eyes us curiously.

     "His... Foster family?" He asks us.

     "Yeah! Luke holds us all together!" Michael jumps on the "foster family" boat.

     "We are very close." I say, finding my place in the story.

     "Alright... Well, go on in then." The doctor walks away slowly, looking over his shoulder. We made sure not to crack up until he was safely down the hall. We all managed to compose ourselves before entering the Luke's hospitol room. Luke is hooked up to an iv and his eyes r closed. We all take seats around his bed.

     "He looks dead." Michael says plainly.

     "Michael!" We all say in unison. I take a seat furthest away from Luke. I felt so badly. So responsible for this. It was all my fault. 

     "I promise im not dead." Luke says. We had all been not pying attention to him. His eyes are open and he is looking around at us.

    "Damn. I feel like shit." He says, a small smile forms on his lips. We all laugh. I make sure to stay quiet and in the back of the room. What if Luke is mad at me? Or hates me? I sit in the shadows as the boys talk about how "kick ass" "brave as fuck" and "damn awesome" Luke was in the fight. Luke laughed and smiles. His toung fiddling with his lip ring and as usual making me go weak in the knees. The doctor walks in. All the laughing boys silence immediatly.

     "Alright, well if you are done visiting, you can go home now. You either leave now or go in the morning." He says, walking out again.

     "Well. I guess we will leave you Lukey!" Calum says getting up and walking to the door. Luke and I still had not spoken.

     "Rae?" Luke says as I am about to hurry out the door. I freeze. "You boys go home. I'll get the bus, yeah?" I smile at the boys who nod and leave. I turn around and walk towards Luke's bed slowly.

    "Hey." I say shyly.

    "Are you okay Rae? You almost got really hurt if i wasnt there but- OH MY GOD, your side!" he says, all his words spilling out fast. I look down to see my shirt partially soaked in blood and sticking to me.

     "Its nothing." I say trying to shoo his worries away. He motions for me to get closer. I stand directly next to his bed and he pulls up my shirt and exposes the cut Chase left me.

     "Oh god. He hurt you." Luke said, running his thumb over the now dry wound.

     "Its fine..." I say trailing off.

     "Hey, whats wrong?" He says, his blue eyes looking up at me. I smile down at him slightly.

     "I just... Im so sorry Luke. If it wasnt for me none of this would have happened... I wish I just... Wasnt alive." I say. A tear slipping down my cheek. Luke grabs my hand.

     "Hey! Dont ever say that. I'm so glad your alive. You make the room light up with your smile... You make me feel more alive then i have in years." he says while nodding. I nod and look away.

     "Rae?" he says.

     "Yeah Luke?" I say, Looking back to his face.

     "Kiss me?" he asks me. A little smile creeps over his lips.

     "Alright. But a little one, we are foster family afterall." i smirk.

     "Okay sounds good." He presses his lips against mine, then pulls back. "Wait huh?" He looks so confused. I laugh and kiss him again.

     "Bye brother Luke!" I say laughing as he stares at me confused.