t h i r t y s e v e n

Aero made her rounds around Alexandria. It was a busy little place. All the houses were houses that were all worth well over a million dollars. It was the sort of neighborhood that she would have taken her brother, Jess, through. Her heartstrings tangled when she briefly thought of him ogling at the houses, proclaiming that he preferred panels over brick. He'd loved houses, even at such a small age. 

DEAD BUT NOT GONE--

Aero approached the porch of Rick's home, not surprised to see two women standing there, talking quietly. They both seemed worried, especially as she approached. Their eyes widened and the conversation quickly came to a close. A can of powdered lemonade was passed between them. 

"Ladies." Aero said curtly in greeting, a devilish smile sharpening her features. They both nodded in return. "Is Negan in there?" 

They nodded in unison. Aero gave a small nod, opening the door without knocking. "Are you coming in?" The younger of the two shook her head, said a few soft words of encouragement to the other, and then bounced down the stairs. Aero motioned for the other woman to enter, who gave her a shy glance before she shuffled inside, muttering something that sounded like a 'thanks.'

The rich aroma of tomato sauce was like a punch right to the nose. Aero followed the scent to the kitchen, surprised to see Negan humming quietly while he sauntered around the room. She was sure he'd probably heard her come in, but she came up behind him and brushed her hand along his back, anyway. 

"Impeccable timing, my dear." He purred. "Do you have any flaws at all?"

She smiled. "None that you'll ever find out." 

He turned around and grinned, flicking her chin with his finger. "Indeed." His eyes traveled up to the woman who had entered alongside her. That grin slid into something more cocky and brutish. His nostrils flared, enlightened with the idea of having a new toy to taunt. The woman, curtly ignoring the both of them, set the lemonade powder on the counter and briskly scooped up Judith. 

"Carl, set the table." Negan ordered, guiding Aero to her seat with a hand on the small of her back. She allowed him to help her into his seat, giving a small chuckle as he gathered her loose curls and brushed them behind her shoulders. 

"Your hair's getting long." He commented, seating himself at the head of the table. He'd set her on his right side. 

"I'm thinking about cutting it." She said, settling into her seat. She watched as Carl walked away, gathering plates and cutlery. He moved with ignorant stiffness, obviously fighting his instincts to rebel. That kid was going to be one firework show when he was old and grown-- that was for certain. If she were Negan, she'd be a little more fearful of him. 

"Don't." Negan prompted. "I like it long." 

Aero smiled sweetly, "I do not." It was a small comment, but it was a challenge. She was testing her leash on him, and he was letting her tug on it. He forced a frown, but she could still see twinkling, unearthly amusement in his gaze. 

"Very well, dear." He forced out. Still, it was more of an effort than he put toward anybody else. 

Olivia approached with a glass pitcher in one hand and a sleeping Judith in the other. Aero watched as the nervous woman poured Negan a drink and then Aero. "Thank you kindly." Aero commented quietly, whereas Negan said nothing. 

They waited in silence. Aero silently picked at her nails. Negan was entirely relaxed, but she could feel glistening tension between the woman and Carl. It hummed like a crisp melody, filling the void of silence with more blistering silence.