s i x t y n i n e

Daryl hated waiting.

Hate wasn't strong enough-- he loathed it.

He wanted nothing more than to wring Negan's neck and beat him with his own bat. He wanted to smash his head into the pavement until there was nothing left but brain matter and blood.

So, in spite of their plan, in spite of everything, he waited no longer.

He couldn't get her out of his head. That woman. The force of nature. Her emerald green eyes and sly smile to match.

A fox, she was.

No, no. She was no fox.

She was the wolf.

- - -

Daryl pushed down any anxiety he had as he sped back to the Sanctuary. He hid his bike underneath some foliage and continued on his way, moving silently through the trees until he reached the little town.

He took down two scouts with his hunting knife, saving the bullets in his two hand guns for any emergency ahead. They were both silenced. He was aware that he could likely get himself out with guns that weren't silenced, but he couldn't risk Aero.

No, taking Aero would bring the whole Sanctuary down. They'd slaughter him on sight, too, no questions asked.

He managed his way inside, sliding through a cut slit in the fence that magically appeared with a pair of wire cutters he'd brought.

His heart roared in his ears, pounding at the volume and velocity of a dozen trains.

SHE SAVED YOU--

He clenched his fists as he snuck around a building.

SHE'S TRAPPED--

He heard it, then. The voice he loathed, the voice that kept him trapped in the room for so damn long. His fists clenched around the guns, but he resisted his burning instinct.

Negan marched to and fro, looking more distressed than he ever had before. Lucille was swung violently each time he turned, and he continued snapping orders at his Lieutenants. They flinched at each word, flinched at each swing of his bat.

The Sanctuary was built upon fear. No, no, it wasn't built on, the place simply was fear.

A deep appreciation for Rick bloomed in his chest.

And Maggie, too, who had stepped up and taken over to make choices for more people.

Daryl spotted three bodies with their heads split open, blood seeping into the ground beneath their bodies. The only thing left of their brains was the pink mush that seemed to be half way out of their heads, anyway. His stomach churned.

Abraham, Glenn--

Glenn.

He closed his eyes. He wanted to fire the gun right in Negan's neck. He wanted the man to suffer, to watch his life slip away as he became the monster he already was. Rotten, Negan was. Straight to the core.

He forced himself to turn away and went on his search. Aero wasn't around Negan, so truthfully, he had no idea where she'd be. Perhaps the library, as Dwight had spat that she liked to go.

Dwight.

He adjusted his search for the burnt asshole, knowing that he had the upper-hand with weapons on his side.

It didn't take long to find Dwight. Daryl grabbed him by the back of his shirt and yanked him aside, shoving him against the wall.

"Aero." Her name was exotic on his tongue. Savior, wolf, beauty. "Where is she?"

Dwight's face was a coil of confusion, "Daryl, wha-..."

"Aero." He snapped again. "Where is she?"

"Gone." Dwight said with a thin smile. "She left. Didn't you notice Negan's wrath."

Daryl tightened his grip, "You're lyin'."

"I'm not." Dwight said, still smiling. It wasn't quite a cocky smile, Daryl realized. He was... Content? Not happy, but Aero's escape wasn't bothering him like one would expect.

"Where did she go?"

"Hell if I know. Left without a word to anybody. Took a bike, my crossbow, the vest..."

Daryl looked down at Dwight's chest. No, Dwight wasn't wearing his leather vest anymore, and the crossbow wasn't anywhere in sight...

Interesting, he noted.

"Do ye have any idea where she may have gone?"

Dwight snorted, "Judging by the items she took, probably after you."

"Did she even know where ta go?"

"She's a smart pickle. I'm sure she figured it out."

Daryl frowned, "I should kill you."

Dwight remained silent.

Daryl stood there for an extra moment before he shoved off. No, he'd left a train already. He needed to get Aero.

He went straight for the Hilltop.

[ Circles, circles, circles, ya'll. I know you're all strangling me through the screen for this, but I do have a plan and it is thorough. 

Wowewow, this book is coming along quite nicely. I've written quite a few chapters ahead so I know all that's going on wayyyy ahead of this... and I also know that Rebel will soon be coming to a close. 
Not soon-soon, but we're certainly half-way through. I'm anticipating 30-40 more chapters from this point? Somewhere around that mark. We'll probably breach 100 chapters. 
As for a sequel... I am keeping my mouth shut. <3 

Please keep commenting and voting. I really appreciate it! Give me a follow for more TWD content, too. ]