Chapter XV; No Way Out

Annora walked up the path she had only been up once before. It had been a slow day, her missions completed long ago. Chirithy hadn't made an appearance since her mission was done. Skuld was off doing something for the Dandelions, and all the lieutenants were busy with their Foreteller. So she found herself wandering the outside of the city once again.

As she reached the cliff where Master Luxu sat, the hooded master looked up at her. His head tilted to the side, and though Annora couldn't see, she got the impression he was smiling at her

"So you're back again. More questions?" Master Luxu asked. Annora shook her head as she crossed to the edge of the cliff where she sat down facing Luxu.

"No," Annora said softly. "Thought you might be lonely." She said, offering a smile to the master. He looked at her in silence for a moment, making her fear she had said the wrong thing.

"R-really? That's it?" Luxu asked, shock clear in his voice. Annora guessed people didn't worry much about him. But that was probably because no one knew where he was.

"I can't imagine it's fun. Watching your friends fight to the death." Annora said with a shrug. she looked down and pulled on the grass by her feet. Luxu nodded looking towards the town.

"It's not." He said wistfully. He glanced back to Annora in thought. "Are you sure you don't have any questions?" He asked. Annora shrugged, still picking at the grass nervously.

"I have a million, but it doesn't matter," Annora said. She chewed her bottom lip nervously, her mind racing. She was still trying to piece things together. So much had happened to her and the pieces didn't seem to line up. It was like someone was purposely breeding chaos. But who would do such a thing?

"Maybe I can help," Luxu said. Annora smiled at him softly, looking up from the grass.

"How do you manage, knowing they're all going to die?" Annora asked, looking back down. Luxu's breath hitched for a second. Annora suspected the question was one he thought about all the time. He didn't have much else to fill the time while waiting for doomsday.

"I have to watch. I feel that's punishment enough for me getting to live." Luxu answered after a moment. Annora nodded, not speaking, instead taking the time to think over the answer. "You're asking because Ava wanted you to join the Dandelions." Luxux said. It wasn't a question. Just a statement. Annora chuckled nervously.

"Yeah. I'm not sure what to do anymore." She admitted.

"The cross Union party, I liked that idea. You should keep it up." Luxu said. Annora looked up in surprise. She didn't think he knew about that. It wouldn't be important enough for him to be keeping track of, was it? They had only gotten a few other members afterward anyway.

"What good will it do?" Annora asked bitterly.

"It will make memories you won't ever forget," Luxu replied simply. Annora looked up at him in shock and nodded slowly, looking back down.

"Right." She agreed. She frowned before glancing up at Luxu again. "What's the lost page?" She asked. Luxu sighed heavily.

"It was the page talking about the traitor. The Master took it out of all of the books and gave it to only one." Luxu explained reluctantly. Annora frowned and nodded. She could understand taking it away from the Foretellers. If they had the page they would only worry. But giving it to one was setting that foreteller up to be alone.

"Which one?" Annora asked.

"Which do you think?" Luxu asked in reply. Annora frowned, remembering the conversation she heard between Master's Aced and Ira.