Chapter XVII; Running Out of Time

Annora knew things were hopeless. She never said it out loud, she couldn't bring herself to do that. But she saw it everywhere she went. Tensions were running high between all unions, and even the union masters seemed to be picking fights. Annora had heard Aced had picked a fight with some of the Dandelions. Ira had stopped things before they had gotten too serious, but Skuld- who had been the target of the aggression- was still sporting a few bruises.

Annora didn't know why she wandered back up to the cliff Luxu was watching from. But with the war drawing ever closer she felt it was right to visit him. He had to be suffering just as much as the rest of them. Maybe more, as it was his friends that were causing this mess.

Annora sat down beside Luxu without a word. He glanced at her calmly, not speaking for a moment. He took note of her expression, which was grim. Her shoulders were tense and her eyes looked longingly out towards the city.

"Back again?" Luxu asked, looking toward the city with her. It was a peaceful day. Well, as peaceful as things were able to get now.

"We don't have much more time, do we," Annora said. It was clear from the tone of her voice she didn't mean it to be a question. Just a statement of truth. Any trace of hope had faded from her voice. She sounded bitter and defeated.

"No, I don't think so." Luxu agreed, his voice soft.

"This war's going to happen, no matter what we do." Annora said, her voice matching his softness. Luxu nodded.

"Yes." He agreed. There was a quiet pause, only the wind creating a sound as dandelion seeds blew past on the wind.

"I'll accept your offer." Annora said suddenly, watching the dandelion seeds fall to the ground as the wind died down. Luxu looked at her in surprise.

"What?" Luxu asked, thinking perhaps he had misheard. He had made the offer so long ago, and he had assumed she had forgotten it. Anyone with sense would choose to join the Dandelions. They wouldn't have to watch the world end. They just got to be free.

"I'll be your apprentice or whatever," Annora said, turning to look at Luxu. Luxu frowned, realizing she was serious. Not that he wasn't glad, but he couldn't understand why. He hated having to do this. Why would anyone choose to carry his responsibility?

"I'm glad to hear that, but why did you decide to follow me?" Luxu asked, slowly choosing his words. "I thought you would have joined the Dandelions." Annora looked down with a soft smile. She nodded in understanding, trying to keep her smile from fading away.

"I thought about it," Annora admitted. "But I want to be able to pass on the story, the entirety of it. No sugar coating it, just the truth." She explained calmly. Luxu nodded once again.

"Why?" He asked. Annora looked up at him. To his surprise, the hope he had thought gone had returned. Her eyes were strong once again, the way he was so used to seeing them.

"So maybe it won't happen again." She said simply. Luxu found himself smiling at her words.

"I hope that works." He said. He looked back towards the town, thinking what their next move should be. "Go back to the town for now, when the war starts- and you'll know it when it does- meet me here." He said. Annora nodded and stood. She inclined her head in a small bow.

"Yes, sir." Annora said. She turned away, walking towards the path only she seemed to know.

"And Annora," Luxu said, catching her attention. She looked over her shoulder at him. "Let your heart be your guiding key," Luxu said. Annora grinned softly.

"Is that permission to change my mind?" Annora asked. Luxu smiled in return, though Annora couldn't tell.

"Maybe."