The New Kid | Chloe Lukasiak |

Chapter 1:

Chloe's POV:

'Yet another day of torture.' I thought as I smeared foundation onto my new bruise made by the one and only, my mother. As I slid my glasses up the bridge of my nose, I tried to pick out something decent to wear for school.

But I don't get decent clothes. Unless they're bought by my Aunt Jill, who lives about an hour away. Along with some money, she sends me her daughter, Kendall's, old clothes. Kendall is 2 years younger than me but is about two or three inches taller.

I would be taller than that if it weren't for my mom slamming me agains a wall when I was 13. It broke my back plates and I could no longer grow. I slid on leggings, a burgundy cami, and tan over-sized sweater.

Even though it was early April, I had to cover the bruises and scares and cuts made from, I like to call her the beast.

No one could know.

No one cared, anyway.

I barely had one friend, and it was Maddie Ziegler, the popular girl everyone loved. She hung out with her popular friends more than me, though.

I swung my Vera Bradley bag over my shoulder, complementary of the Vertes. It was a bit torn but it's better than nothing. I had no ride, since my mom is out basically every night drinking her cares away.

So I walked.

Every day.

For 2 1/2 miles.

I don't tell anyone about my life at home. They would look at me like I'm an abandoned puppy. It happend one when I was 14. I told my Aunt Jill. Her entire family knew and no matter how hard they tried, my mother wouldn't give me up.

They look her to court and she claimed that I was lying and just wanted to get spoiled. The judge took her side, of course. Who would take the side of a 14 year-old girl anyway? No one.

I opened the main doors and headed to my locked. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see a group of three girls whispering and catching glances at me. I'm not bullied I just have no friends.

"What." I boomed. "Never seen a girl putting her stuff in her locker?" They hurried away, still whispering.

I really could not care less what people thought of me.