9

Chapter 9.

Chloe's POV :

"I present to you... KennyWood!" Ricky exclaims as we pull into the parking lot. I giggle.

"Wait, you just moved to Pittsburgh and you already know the amusement parks here? That's crazy."

"Well my uncle lives down here and during the summer when I was a kid I would come down here and that's where he would take me and Paige." He explains. I nod and he hands me my ticket. We go through the whole day until they kick us out at ten. Then, it's my turn to pick what we do.

"Star gazing?" He asks, dumbfounded.

"Yeah. I love looking at stars. Plus you can put things into shapes. I'll show you." I take his hand and tingles go up my spine. We lay next to each other in the grass. My body is directly across from his.

"Look, that one sorta looks like a boot. You see anything?" I ask him amazed.

"I see a bunch of stars." I roll my head over so it's facing his.

"C'mon, Ricky, Just try, for me?"

"Ugh! Fine." I smile and move my head back over.

"I see a huge star,a taco, a basketball, and a beautiful girl." I laugh.

"Where's the beautiful girl?" I ask, scanning the sky.

"Next to me." He responds. I blush and look at the biggest star in the sky.

"You see that huge star?" I ask him, pointing the the star I was gazing at.

"Yep."

"Well-you might think I'm crazy- but I believe that it's my dad and sister looking down on me. It shines brighter when my mom, ya know, gets a little crazy. Which is most nights but... yeah." I breathe, trying not to cry.

"Hey, hey. Don't cry. You're with me." Ricky assures. He sits up, taking me with him and hugs me.

"You're fine, Chlo. Don't start cryin' on me." I nod and he takes me back to his car.

"Thanks for the great weekend. Please, please, please don't tell anyone about what I did." I plead.

"I promise I won't." He hugs me. Right after I went inside, I touch my lips because right before he turned away to leave, he brushed his lips over my forehead for just a few seconds.

....

I wore my favorite outfit to school the next day: a mint long sleeve shirt, a multi-colored scarf, black jeans, and sandals. The jeans were originally mine but Kendall accidentally shrunk the shirt a few months ago. So it fits perfect on me. Basically the rest of my routine is Kendall's.

The straightener, perfume, small amount of makeup, and my book bag. My stupid glasses had to ruin the entire outfit, though. After taking my peanut butter toast, I rush out the door to walk to school.

"Need a ride?" Someone shouts behind me. I spin around and see Ricky's black Mustang with him and Paige in the front seats.

"Um, yeah I guess." I say. "Hop in."

I climb into the backseat and Ricky speeds towards the school.

"In a rush to get to school?" I ask.

"Nah, Paige has to get there early for some art thing." He responds.

"It's Art Club. You should try it, Chloe. It's really fun." Says Paige.

"How bout no. I can't even draw a cat without messing up. Paige smiles and we pull into the school parking lot.

"Chlo.. Chlo, we need to have a sleepover this weekend. It's in my blessing. Once I meet someone new and become friends with them, I have a sleepover with them a month later. And then in three more weeks there's something even more special! You know what it is?" Paige says when we arrive at our lockers. Her's is only a few lockers away from mine. I stare at my books as I pull them out.

"I can't even imagine." I say with no emotion. She slams my locker shut.

"It's your birthday, silly! Only the most important day of your whole year!" I laugh.

"I haven't celebrated my birthday since I was maybe... twelve or eleven."

"WHAT?! You're turning seventeen in three weeks! You haven't celebrated in five years? Do your parents hate you?" Paige's blue eyes scan my face for any signs of lies. I forgot that I haven't told her about my mom abusing me or half my family dead.

"Oh, well no. But my dad and little sister died in a car crash five years ago." Her energy looks like it was drained out of her.

"Sorry, didn't mean to say that. And sorry about your loss."

"Hey, you didn't know. And don't be. It was a long time ago. But back to the party thing. I'm not saying that I didn't celebrate, I just didn't have a party. My mom's been a little down since the accident." I lie.

She nods, obviously believing me. I go through the rest of the day with glares from Maddie and Brooke, stupid talks with my lunch table, and texts during math class. Ricky and Paige took me home and it felt different to be there that early. I think I like this new life. And the new kid.

.....

Sometime around late April/ early May, the best day of my life happened. Nothing could be compared to it. I can remember it like it was yesterday...

"So Chloe, are you going to prom next month?" Ricky asked when we were sitting at our annual high school play. I would probably be sitting at home doing something lazy if Paige weren't in this. I already know my answer. "No."

No one would ever want to go to a dance with me.

I have glasses that are too huge for my face. Before Ricky could say anything else, the play started with Paige on the ground, 'scrubbing' it. The play or musical was Cinderella and Paige was the perfect fit to star it. Of course, she didn't start it being Cinderella. She was the understudy after begging the drama teacher to let her audition.

Judy Nills, the original star, was also on the cheer team. She did a back handspring and broke three fingers. Paige only got to practice for a couple weeks and I hope she doesn't screw up. It would just ruin her.

Of course, she doesn't.

At the end, Ricky grabs my hand. I almost jump out of my seat.

"Paige says this part is supposed to be the best." He says.

The 'happily ever after' already happened and now the cast was coming to bow. I was super confused until a couple people danced onto the stage with signs. They put them down and continued to dance.

"We should get out of here before the crowd comes." I suggest and try to stand up. "Chloe..." the chorus sang. I turned around and the signs spelt out 'P R O M ?'. I looked at Ricky and he was smiling at me.

"Only as friends, if you want to go." He says.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Sure." People around us clapped and the lights turned on.

Ricky handed me a rose. "For you."

"Why, thank you my kind servant." I joked and shoved his shoulder.

.

literally crying cuz clicky rn. xx