Alec

She's late.

After her little stunt with Charlotte a few days ago, this is the last thing I thought she would do. To make things worse, Charlotte was hovering. Her navy blue dress reached mid thigh and her lack of heels made it easier to look down on her, both ways.

My eyes were fixed on the glass door despite being engaged in a "thrilling" conversation with a potential investor.

They were all the same. They all wanted to donate money to my gallery under the condition that some random pathetic excuse for an artist that they happen to stumble upon gets an opening space for their horrendous work. I'd never let that happen though, only the best of the best can display their work beside hers.

Kamara finally walks in looking a little flushed and I can't help but be mildly impressed. Charlotte's face instantly turns into a scowl. She probably wasn't expecting her to pull of that dress. It was a burgundy dress with lace detail on the top half and plain satin from the mid riff to her knees. She straightened her hair and pushed it out of her face etching more detail on her lightly made up face. Her eye caught mine and she approached me walking elegantly in her velvet maroon stilettos.

"I'm so sorry I'm late," She says sounding slightly out of breath.

I examine her more and notice the light make up she's worn looks natural to an amateur eye but I used to watch her do her make up before every showcase. She would tie her messy brunette locks into a tight ponytail and go over her soft, delicate features with a power brush. She was so beautiful.

"I've been hearing that a lot lately," I said in an unamused tone.

I clenched my champagne glass a slightly tighter as I tried to force the memories back into the cage of a home in the back of my mind.

"I know, I know, I'm sorr- I just can't seem to understand this weird train system thing and I had to make a few alterations to the dress the wicked witch over there got me," She rambled as I tried to pretend that I cared but really I couldn't shake the feeling of familiarity in her face that I never grasped before.

By the time she was finished talking I had to regain my thoughts and hope she didn't notice me staring. She'd be flattered when she didn't deserve it. She looked above average but that's about it. I was one second from losing interest in her completely if she didn't start showing me that she's worth my time.

"I told you to look decent and this is what you show up in? If I wanted you to dress like a tramp from the fifties I would've I gotten you a Halloween costume. However, the damage is done so go make yourself scarce and try to avoid the important people," I say with a light wave of dismissal in her direction.

"But I didn't even-"

"Please, I've had enough of a view of that revolting dress and its plain faced wearer for a lifetime. Please just do me a favour and leave before I'm forced to say something I might regret."

Her eyes widen slightly and I can tell that that hurt.

Finally, some fun.

The silence between us thickened as she remained rooted in the ground and I waited patiently for a witty retort. Alas, it never came. She spend a single moment more glaring at me before stomping away to what I assume was the ladies' room to cry in the bathroom stall.

Pathetic.

And to think I was going to give her an opportunity to entice me. I thought she had thicker skin. I thought she would at least last long enough until I could fuck her and leave. I couldn't help but feel disappointed in her.