Chapter 11

"What should we do?"

"It's getting brighter, damn it have any of you seen this before?"

"This isn't good! We need to do something!" 

"Yes but what?"

"What happened to her anyway, this is nothing like I have ever seen in my whole existence?!"

TWELVE HOURS EARLIER

"I can't do this to him Damon. You know that."

"Who said he even had to know, this could be our little secret."

I was currently stood just outside the door to the living room listening in on Damon and Elena having a not so secretive conversation.

"You know there's something between us Elena, something that you and Stefan just don't have. Why are you denying that?"

"Because it's not right, is it? It just isn't meant to be."

"But I love you, and you love me. What more do you need to convince you?! Just be with me, forever!"

"No Damon. This just can't happen, i'm sorry." 

I chose that moment to walk in, appearing as if I hadn't just heard their secret love declarations. Elena, though, chose that exact moment to storm out which resulted in her walking straight into me.

"Sorry." She muttered before power walking to the front door and leaving.

I turned  around after the door slammed shut to stare at an annoyed Damon. He didn't even glance at me before walking to the drink cabinet and pouring himself a drink.

"Don't Layla." He murmured before down the whole glass.

"Oh but you know i'm about to. Don't mess with them, again, Damon. Let Stefan be happy for once, just stay out of their relationship. For the sake of everyone, please?!" 

He sighed dramatically before winking over at me, "Can't make any promises there now can I?"

Shaking my head I walked into the kitchen mumbling under my breath about the whole situation earning a fake chuckle from Damon.

"LAYLA!" 

Hearing my name screamed from the front door I spun around searching for the source, my mind instantly thinking something bad was happening.

I sighed in relief though when only Katherine rushed through the kitchen door, a frantic look on her face that didn't calm down as her eyes set on my form by the counter.

"Why are you screaming and running in my house? Chill out woman." Damon growled walking into the kitchen behind Katherine, his stance and attitude a complete contrast to Katherine's shocked and scared look.

"Alaric. He's back." 

No words were spoken as both Damon and I stood, mouths slack, staring wide eyed at Katherine who at the moment looked like she was in the middle of hyperventilating.

"What do you mean he's back?" Damon shouted angrily, not wanting to believe this news.

Alaric had left almost six months ago after everything that had happened with Isobel and Elena. He couldn't handle the fact that his wife had a daughter who he had to see everyday at his school. We all understood and although somewhat reluctantly, let him leave the town to sort things out.

He had promised to call and let us know how he was but after a few weeks the calls got less and less and eventually we hadn't heard a single word from him so being told he was back was pretty shocking to say the least.