2~An old friend

Dylan's POV

"I'm sorry, where are my manners?" she asks sarcastically, "stick your money up your Caucasian ass," she says turning around and swinging her hips from side to side as she walks to the elevator. 

My Caucasian ass, really? Since when was Marie-Anne racist? I study her back as she walks away from me, her once wild curly hair was straightened.  She had a royal blue pencil skirt on with a white blouse making her look even sexier than when I saw her eight years ago, her big girl heels showed her long legs.

"Argent, get in here!" Mr. Smith yells from his office making me walk back inside. I hate people like him and I don't know why I still work for them.

"Yes, sir?" I ask, this is just work.

"I want her fired," he says referring to Marie-Anne.

"With all due respect sir, she is the best at her firm and she has already started I don't think it would be smart to fire her now," I tell him. "And she was right, she is one of the best in this city," I add lying. I never knew that Marie-Anne even practiced law here, if I knew I would have stayed back in Gainesville. If we both practice law here, we are going to run into each other whether I like it or not. Okay, maybe I knew that she might still live here, but I thought she would have moved back with her family after she was done with law school.

"Do I look like I care, we can get the best in this country," he says anger evident in his tone. "I won't have her disrespecting me."

"Sir, I am your attorney and I advise you not to fire her; she already got your son out on bail for god's sake," I say leaning towards him on the other side of the desk. Marie-Anne was right, she's trying to save his stupid ass son, no one told him to go rape or murder a young girl.

"Okay," he says standing up from his desk buttoning up his jacket.

"Thank you, I'll go handle her to let her know her behavior won't be tolerated." I tell him taking my briefcase, "give me her file," he looks through his desk and gives me a folder that had the firm's information where he hired Marie-Anne.

I exit the room and decide to pay Marie-Anne a visit, I want to see her. No, I should be avoiding her, I'm just going to talk business with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm here to see Ms. Jean," I tell the receptionist that was up front.

"Her door is through this hallway, second door on your left," she says pointing to a hallway behind her.

"Thank you," I say making my way to Marie-Anne's office. I reach the door and sigh for a second. You can still backup Dylan, your assistant can do that, you don't have to talk to her. Ignoring my brain I knock on her door.

"Come in," she says on the other side. I open the door and get in even though I know I would be taking a ride back to my past, "Oh, hi Argent, am I fired?" She asks with a hint of sarcasm. Her feet are on her desk as she relaxes on her chair. She throws an arrow pin straight at me and I curve my head so it doesn't hit me. "Close the door," she says with a chuckle. She could have hit my eye and she's laughing. What's wrong with this girl?

I close the door and take a seat across from her, she continuous throwing the pins and that's when I notice that there is a board on the door that is her target. "Hi Marie-Anne," I tell her.

"Hello Dylan," she says giving me a fake smile.

"So, that's it? You're not going to ask how am I doing , if I'm dead, aren't you glad to see an old friend?" I ask her.

Her expression changes into sadness and quickly turns back to a smirk, "I actually am not glad to see an old friend," she says, but I know she is lying. She was always a bad liar.

"Well, I am," I tell her honestly.

"Good for you Dylan," she says. I stare into her eyes and all I could see is darkness. Her light brown eyes that use to make the world seem wonderful looked like they were no longer there. It's like someone took her humanity away. We both stare at each other without a single word until someone knocks on her door. "Aren't I famous today?" She says ironically, "Come in."

She takes an arrow pin and throws it at the door while the door is opening. That arrow definitely hit that person. I turn around to see if the person is hurt, but I see that they are holding the pin close to their eyes. A.D.A Brown, what is he doing here?

"Jean, you did that on purpose didn't you?" his deep voice with that stupid accent asks.

"Oh, you know me so well," she says smirking. He chuckles and looks over at me.

"I forgot to ask you for the DNA you promised me," he says.

"Oh yeah," Marie-Anne says a smile appearing on her lips. So, she can smile to him, but not me. "Couldn't your detectives pick it up?" She asks getting up and looking at her desk drawer.

"Yeah, they could."

"Why didn't they?" She asks finally finding what she was looking for.

"Well, maybe I wanted to see you," he says and Marie-Anne walks over to him. Is he really flirting with her right now? His game is totally off.

"Mhmm, don't you know how to make a gal feel special?" Marie-Anne asks from behind me.

"That's what I was going for," he says in a softer tone. Silence fills the air and I turn around to see what they were doing behind me. They stand across from each other staring into each other's eyes. His eyes scream lust if he wants to kiss her why doesn't he just do it already?

"Bye Jean," he says once he notices me staring at them. He grabs the envelope from Marie-Anne's hands once and for all and he leaves.

"Sorry about that, did you need something?" Marie-Anne asks sitting back at her desk.

"No, I just wanted to tell you that Mr. Smith will not be tolerating your disrespect no more. And you owe me a thank you for saving your job," I tell her and she busts out laughing.

"I don't owe you crap, if he did fire me I would be watching his son go to prison in two weeks top. The truth is, I control him, so you tell Mr. Smith that he will not be threatening me and disrespecting me unless he wants to watch his son get thrown in prison." She says pointing her index finger in my face.

I nod my head but don't tell her anything. I pull back my dark brown hair and sigh. I grab my briefcase to leave.

"Dylan," Marie-Anne says in the voice I once loved to hear. "I am glad to see an old friend," she says embracing me in a hug.

"Me too," I say hugging her back.

AN

Thanks for reading. Tell me your opinions about the chapter.

VOTE and COMMENT...

Au Revoir...