Lake of Fineas

Caprice had only ever glimpsed sapphire waters like the waters of the lake in Miss Karrigan's books. The lake stretched off into the horizon surrounded by forests. Up the bank away from the shore where the treeline started, the sapphire waters darkened into a murky green with yellowish-amber patches, turning into a deep swamp.

In the center of the lake was a thick stone column of cascading basin pools; each basin's waters flowed into each another, changing and purifying as they ran into other basins. The basin pools were filled with everything from crystal clear water to bubbling viscous purple goo to fizzing diamond-like liquid frozen in an icy pond. Caprice thought it was rather like the silver, tiered punch fountains the Whitehares used at their parties except the basins were all connected.

"Ah, I was hoping you would ask," Professor Earithean said to Thierry. "This is the Lake of Fineas. Obviously not a lake in the natural sense, but an excellentm, complex general aquatic and marine habitat for study. Let us continue, Prospective Pupil Bilberry."

Next, they walked a little ways alongside the lake. They approached the mouth of a ventured of an underground tunnel gallery, its shadowy entrance lit by a cold, watery blue light. the tunnel was chill and dim inside, its tranquil quiet filled with lively conversation between Skyla, Alastair, and Karrigan, more of Bossa's grumbling, and Professor Earithean's cool admonishments. Earthen columns lined the way through. The light filling the tunnel entrance that Caprice had seen from outside was coming from a wall of glass that started a few yards into the tunnel. The glass wall was lined by a handrail and looked into the silent blue depths of the lake.

A girl was sitting on the handrail.

Closer now, Caprice saw that the girl had a head full of thin, curly reddish-amber locs that framed her face, stopping short of her jaw. She held a open book up to her nose in one hand and wore baggy robes and woolly, fingerless gloves. Caprice frowned. There were tiny markings on her exposed fingers.

"Pupil Nyrvenna," Professor Earithean said as she passed. "Nice day, yes?"

"Yes, Professor," the girl said.

"And your studies?"

"A pleasure." She turned the page of her book without glancing away, eyes racing line after line.

"Pupil Bossa, you might take a leaf out of Pupil Nyrvenna's book."

"Now you're comparing me to Nezzle. Again," Bossa growled.

"Hallo," Thierry said, tipping his chin up at the girl.

Without looking from her page, the girl gave a slow nod. As Caprice passed, she spoke, halting her before she could utter a casual greeting and follow after the others.

"Hallo." She looked at Caprice.

"Hallo," Caprice ducked her head. When she glanced over, the girl sitting on the stone handrail was still holding the book up to her nose and still looking at her.

A shrill cry echoed the tunnel, shriveling Caprice's eardrums.

Karrigan was standing back from the guardrail a few feet ahead. Her pale eyes were popped open in her pale face and she was positively gaping at the sight in front of her.

"How hideous! Are those students..."

A boy swam out of the gloom in the distance. His head and arms were smooth and shiny with scales. He spotted them on the other side of the likely enchanted glass partition and waved, smiling and revealing rows of pointed teeth. Much to Karrigan's dismay, more students swam out of the depths and came to the gallery's window. Grinning, Bossa was the only one jumping up and down and waving back at them.